Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

vgaoem.fon trouble

• Please log in to reply

Radatat

Radatat

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm having a problem in that when I boot my pc I get this error:

"Windows could not start. The following file is missing or corrupted \windows\system\vgaoem.fon.

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows setup using the original setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

Unfortunately, I think I lost my windows install cd when I moved.
I've found several guides that suggest using a floppy boot image to put the file onto a CD since I don't have a floppy drive, but the whole process is rather confusing to me - any ideas???

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres microsofts answer for this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315338

OR

vgaoem.fon should be in two places on your hard drive
C:\winnt\fonts and C:\winnt\system32\dllcache\

you can start xp from the setup disk and choose repair options\repair console

do a dir list on each of these folders to see if the file is there. If it's missing in one place you can copy it to the other. If it's in both places then rename one of them and copy the other their. If you still have the problem, then reverse the process by renaming the one you renamed back, and then copy it to the other folder. If still no go, you can expand the file off of the intstallation cd to both locations.

If you don't like that option, you could do a repair install from the setup disk, but you'll have to reinstall all the service packs.

SRX660

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Radatat
Welcome to G2G.
With out your cd it is going to be hard to recover from this.
Can you borrow a cd of the same version ? eg if you have home then borrow a home version.
Lets try a long shot.
Start your computer and keep pressing F8 straight away. This should give you a black screen with a choice of start options.
Choose Safe mode. If it starts with safe mode.
Click on start>programs>accessories>system tools>system restore.
Choose the option to restore your computer to an eariler date.
Pick a date before you had trouble.
Cheers
Peterm

Radatat

Radatat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well my main problem is that I don't have my setup disk anymore. I found a place to download the file at http://Golden-Triangle.com/vgaoem.fon but I don't know how to get it installed on my problem PC.

And thanks for the suggestion peterm, but I have tried starting it in every mode possible after hitting F8 and each time it only restarts and gives me the same problem. =(

Edited by Radatat, 23 June 2008 - 05:53 PM.

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
You should hit continiously F8 while rebooting or directly after the start of your computer or shutdown>power>hit F8. Then you get the F8 options.

Regards,

Radatat

Radatat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yeah, I'm saying that I've already tried all the F8 options. Safe mode doesn't do anything to help. :)

Any ideas on how to repair the vgaoem.fon file without a windows install cd would be a great help.

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Try this. Install windows on the other computer, but only until first reboot, so in this case all installation files in the HDD.
After this, connect hdd back in ur computer and continiue installation!!!! This will work certainly.

Regards,

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok I would download and boot from either a live linux distro - such as ubuntu or boot from UBCD4WIN
Then copy the file to the windows drive.
UBCD4WIN
UBUNTU
Cheers
Peterm

Radatat

Radatat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
As I said in my first post, I do not have a windows installation cd and I really don't want to buy a new one.

Edit: this UBCD for windows thing looks hopeful, I'm going to try it now. Thanks Peterm.

Edited by Radatat, 24 June 2008 - 05:27 PM.

Radatat

Radatat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Upon further inspection, I found that I still needed a windows install cd to use UBCD4WIN. And I looked all over the UBUNTU site but couldn't find exactly how I was supposed to use it.

Sorry if I'm just stupid.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok here is what you need. Instead of pclinux use ubuntu - same instructions.
How to create linux boot disk
Cheers
peterm

Radatat

Radatat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
So is this essentially going to install linux on my computer so I don't have to use my screwed up windows xp?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
No
this will be a bootable cd that runs linux off the cd. you should then be able to copy the file you downloaded to windows.
When you shut down linux and eject the cd you are back to windows. Live cd's only run the program from the cd so you can try it.
If you like it you can install it later on.

Radatat

Radatat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Awesome peterm, I'm going to try it and see what happens.

robbie250

robbie250

• Pip
  • 1 posts
did this work for you?
also i have a similar problem only its vga850.fon missing
can i still do the things mentioned in the post to try and fix this?
thanks