Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing a Partition

• Please log in to reply

RussellV

RussellV

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I am trying to figure out if I have 2 partitions on a drive (C: & D:) and I want to get rid of one of them (d:) with "Computer Management" will I loose everything out of the main partition (C:)?

I actually have 4 partitions on the drive thanks to Dell. I have to following:

No name - Basic FAT Partition 39MB (installed by windows for some reason I think?)
No name - Basic FAT32 Partition 4.63GB (end of drive, unused are?)
C: - NTFS 51.21GB (Main drive with windows)
D: - NTFS 18.6GB (empty)

I don't know about the 2 no name partitions but I would like to get rid of D: and get that space back into C: so it is easier to use and access. However, I don't want to have to reinstall and reload everything on the computer. If I try to remove D: it tells the that all data on the volume will be lost. Is that just on D: or is that on the entire drive?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Russell

Edited by RussellV, 23 June 2008 - 08:14 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you delete a logical drive in disk management you will lose the data only on the deleted partition. But what will you gain from doing so? You will create a fresh (extended) space which is unusable unless another logical disk(s) is/are defined. C will keep the present size and you will gain nothing.

As I see it you have two options:

1: Resize the present partitions. Enlarge C on account of D. You need special programs for that. Partition Magic is a well known one. Please note: resizing partitions fails sometimes, with serious results. Backup all your important data before you go for that.

2: My preferred option: Leave the computer as is but move important data from C to D. This will ease the load on C and will make better use of D which is presently empty. Even further, if you move important data to D it will be kept safer then in C in some cases of software failure.

RussellV

RussellV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks for the info Skeptic.

I have moved a few partitions before and it can sure have serious side effects. I don't really want to go that way because I don't trust the Dell components. Sometimes they don't like to be changed that drastically. I think it will be safer to get them a new larger hard drive and use something like Norton Ghost to transfer the info over. Plus if I buy Norton Ghost I can have it do regular backups to the old drive.