Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I install Win XP on a Dell system that comes with Vista ?

• Please log in to reply

georgetok

georgetok

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi,

I want to buy a Dell system but it comes with Pre installed Windows Vista Home Premium & they do not offer Win XP.

I would like to install Win XP Pro SP3 in it and remove Vista.

(1) Can I do that & if yes how ? I have Windows XP Pro SP3 CD that came with my another Dell system.

(2) How important is it to learn Vista ? I do not like Vista but it looks like sooner or later I am going to have to learn it. Any idea of what percentage of people owning computers now use Vista instead of other Windows OS ?

Thanks Much.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The first thing to do is go to the Dell Drivers and Downloads section for that model and see if there are drivers for XP for the important things like networking, video and audio. Compare the driver list for Vista and XP to see how complete XP is.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

I have Windows XP Pro SP3 CD that came with my another Dell system.

Howdy:

You are stuck with Vista unless you want to go out and buy another XP install cd. The cd you want to use is OEM and cannot legally be installed on any other system ever. That means even if the old system is in the landfill now.

Murray

georgetok

georgetok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

I have Windows XP Pro SP3 CD that came with my another Dell system.

Howdy:

You are stuck with Vista unless you want to go out and buy another XP install cd. The cd you want to use is OEM and cannot legally be installed on any other system ever. That means even if the old system is in the landfill now.

Murray

I would rather spend & buy another XP cd than learn the bloody Vista. I am tired of learning new stuff that MS puts out every two years. I went thru [bleep] trying to find the buttons in office 2007 which untill 2003 version was easy to learn because the commands were right in front of you.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
:) Then check the Dell website. If the system only comes with Vista, there is a good chance they may not even have XP drivers for that system.

One more thing to watch out for - you may void your entire warranty on the system if you attempt to install XP on it.

Murray