Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD Drive Completely Broken After Puppy Live CD

• Please log in to reply

Homesrfan

Homesrfan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm freaking out right now. I ran a live CD of a Linux distro (Puppy). After running it, I shut down. When I restarted my computer, it stuck at the booting screen. I restarted the computer and manually boot through the boot menu in Windows. When I saw the Windows splash screen, I noticed it was freezing every now and then. It took a good 3-5 minutes to boot, opposed to the usually minute it takes.

Then when I got into Windows I noticed that my CD drive no longer works, at all. It's not recognized by my computer and doesn't open when I press the button.

I might add that I am using my parents computer, not my own, so I would like to figure this out soon. I went into the setup and tried to change my boot sequence and it didn't help. I also noticed in that menu, the Disk option said (NOT INSTALLED). Is this a direct hardware problem, as in a replacement? Does the CD drive affect Windows starting up incorrectly.

Thank you.

EDIT: I would like to first get the computer to start up normally then worry about the CD drive.

Edited by Homesrfan, 24 June 2008 - 12:26 AM.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
If the cd is dying then yes it could be that it is affecting the windows boot up. try unplugging the drive and see if it boots okay...

If it does replace the cd drive...