Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Word 2000 crashes

• Please log in to reply

Mayor_McCheese

Mayor_McCheese

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I am having a problem where Ms Word crashes with the following error.

"Microsoft Word for Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close"

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling office. I have also tried a repair. I tried logging in with a different profile and still having the same problem.

I renamed and also deleted normal.dot but Word will open fine a couple times and then crash out again. The Normal.dot file increases size to about 32kb.

This system is running Adobe Acrobat Pro 8.0 and I think an Adobe add in might be the problem but am unsure which. I've researched this on the web and have seen a few other people have this same problem but have not seen a resolution.

This system is running XP with only 512mb of RAM. Everything seemed to be working fine a couple days ago.

Advertisements

Mayor_McCheese

Mayor_McCheese

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Also uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe pro 8.0 but still had same problem

I removed adobe pdf maker from adobe and Word worked fine. As soon as i reinstalled the pdf maker word had the same problems again.

Suggestions?

Mayor_McCheese

Mayor_McCheese

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

When does it crash? Start-up? Save? Printing? Middle of typing?

On start up. I can start word two times and on the third time it errors out. If I delete Normal.dot it will open and close fine two more times but then on the third time it errors out again. And I have to deleted normal.dot in order to get back in Word.

I have updated Adobe Acrobat Pro 8.0 to 8.1 but am still having the same problem.