Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suspected hard disk problem but...

• Please log in to reply

Ijuststrangledthecomp

Ijuststrangledthecomp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Dear All

Am in need of urgent advice before I trash the comp. Please forgive me if I sound unclear because I have not been much of a tech freak. I first noticed that my pc was getting noisier about a month back but did nothing more than a system defrag (yes I know, lazy me). Back then I was having me exams and so I did a transfer of the world of warcraft folder to an external hard drive. Alas when I was in the midst of transferring the wow folder the system hanged and I got a blue screen. Did a hard reboot but the system couldn't power up, there wasn't a prior system restore point so I tried reformatting the hard drive but the OS couldn't load. On my 3rd try i managed to reinstall the OS but the pc continued to be sluggish as though i hadn't reformatted. Dskchk failed and so did Scandisk. Also, when I tried defragging I got a blue screen. On Bios my hard drive self test has also failed with error #01-07. I ran several antispyware programs, and then tried doing a defrag with Auslogics which succeeded partially before crashing as well. After doing a chkdsk/r on boot I am now able to defrag but the pc continues to be sluggish.

Performance of pc has also deteriorated such that when playing media like songs, videos and online streaming I notice an intermittent "kicking' or "jumping" every few seconds. When i tried to load my WoW game, I have crashed with an error 134 which I have found to be cause by a failure to read data. I have tried reseating my hard drive and memory cards and done a memtest which gives an all clear on the ram. I have done a SMART test on the hard drive which shows that my hard drive is still on a 58% performance with 38% heating. Cooling wise my pc is near a window and my fans are working. Can I assume that it is not a hard drive mechanical failure cause I do not hear a clicking sound (although I can hear the hard drive struggling at times to read data). I have updated all my drivers and video cards after reading in the forums that it could be a driver error but the problem continues. Would I be right in saying that it is a bad sector problem? If so should I go about doing a HDD regen or would it be recommended to ghost my OS and replace the HD? I am afraid that the problem could be with software and replacing the HD would not solve the problem. In such an instance, I would only corrupt another HD which would be an absolute nightmare.

Please do advise on what I might do to correct this issue. A week without WoW is [bleep] for someone like me and I would appreciate all help in resolving the matter. Many thanks in advance.

Grey

Advertisements

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hi Ijuststrangledthecomp,

Unfortunately, error 07 is happening because the HDD is dead. Try replace the HDD and see if it will solve the problem.

Regards,

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
More serious than bad sectors - replace the drive, put a new copy of Windows on it and then get what you can off the old drive before it packs up altogether.

Ijuststrangledthecomp

Ijuststrangledthecomp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Cheerios guys :)

Going about with replacing the drive. Will update!

Best Rgds

Grey