Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

0x8ddd0007 error

• Please log in to reply

horsinround1974

horsinround1974

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My install shield on my computer insists that my computer has not been restarted since I last installed updates. Even though my computer has been shut down and restarted many times in the last couple of days. When I go into Microsoft updates it gives me the error message 0x8ddd0007, and two methods of resolution. One resolution (shutting down and restarting) hasn't done a thing to resolve the issue. The other (deleting the reg key having to do with shutting down) made a difference once, but when I tried to go back in and the install of SP3 failed, the problem started up all over again, and since then, even deleting the reg key is not working. My computer is also achingly slow at start-up, and slow when opening programs, etc. I have AVG 7.5, Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware 2007, Crap Cleaner 2.08.588, and Uniblue Registry Booster (seems like too much stuff), and all are updated regularly, operational, and run on a regular basis. AVG hasn't found any problems in awhile. Spyware and Ad-aware find something almost everytime, and its deleted almost everytime. Also seem to have a lot of useless stuff on my computer, but afraid to delete anything or uninstall, as I'm not an expert and would probably delete or uninstall something critical. Seems like I'm always having problems and spend more time trying to fix them than just enjoying my computer. Help would be apprecaited. Thanks!

Advertisements

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hi horsinround1974,

Welcome to GTG.

start > run > regedit <enter>

navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update

Any subkeys?

Note : You MUST make a backup of registry first.

Regards,

horsinround1974

horsinround1974

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes, there has consistently been a registry key about restarting, and I've deleted it as instructed by the Microsoft updates website, and it comes back everytime I restart.

horsinround1974

horsinround1974

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The only other subkeys underneath auto update say results.

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Click the plus sign next to the AutoUpdate key, and sure enough there's a key.

horsinround1974

horsinround1974

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay,
I am in my registry editor right now. I followed the path "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update", and the very next item listed when I click on the plus sign is "Results" with a plus before it. Prior to posting this I went into Microsoft Update, and it said to go into my registry editor, follow this same path, and delete the entry that says "Reboot Required", so I did that and followed the instructions, which said to resart my computer. The first time I went through this process and restarted, when I went into Microsoft updates it allowed me to at least view, and attempt to download my updates. It then said my updates failed to install because their were previous updates still in the process of installing. Now, if I delete that registry key and restart, it just comes back. So, at this point I have deleted it and not restarted. Instead I deleted it and went back into Microsoft update, changed to windows updates and ran it, changed back to microsoft updates and ran that (as someone at HELP2GO suggested), and I still have the little message popping up that I need to resart my computer despite the fact that that registry key is deleted. As soon as I finish running crap cleaner, registry booster, spybot, ad-aware, and AVG scanners I am going to restart yet again. However, all morning long we've been going through this same process in varying forms, and it still hasn't fixed the problem. I've also posted this here, another like this on HELP2GO, and sent a message to microsoft. Yes, you're right there is an entry after all of that, but right now its "Results", and likely after I restart, it will be "Reboot Required" just as it has been all day long. Anyhow, not trying to come across all grumpy, but I do know how to read even if I don't know much about computers. Do you have suggestions now that I've explained more about what I've been dealing with all day?

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
Hi

Dial-a-fix might do the trick. And if not, it won't harm.

Download Dial-A-Fix from: Here

Unzip to a folder of its own.

Then follow this procedure:

Double-click the "blue wheel" to start it.
Find the radio-button named: "Flush software-distribution"
Let it work.
Next you place a checkmark in "Fix Windows Update"
Press GO in the left bottom corner.
Let it work.
Next you reboot

See if you can update normally.

Abydos

Edited by Abydos, 24 June 2008 - 05:17 PM.

horsinround1974

horsinround1974

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well,
So far it isn't working, but I also got an error message when I was using the program, and sent a copy of it to the email it instructed me to. So, we'll see if that helps at all. I'm done with this for this evening. I've been working on it since 7:00 this morning, and I'm ready to chuck my computer out my second story window (lol). Thanks all for your help today. I'll try again tomorrow:)

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Do a System Restore to a time before you installed the Updates. That solve your problem...

Regards,