Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

One Computer, Two Problems

• Please log in to reply

llangston

llangston

• Pip
  • 3 posts
First off I would like to say hello to everyone. This is my first visit here and I am hoping that someone here might be able to help me out. I am the IT assistant for a large company and I am at my wits end with this one computer. I am dealing with what I think are two different issues on this computer but they may be connected. The computer is a Dell Optiplex 170L running XP Pro with SP3(I just put that on there today and had to download it to flash drive to install it), it has a little over 1gb of RAM. The first problem I am having has to do with a printer that is directly attached to this computer but is shared. I can print directly from this computer but if anyone else tries to print to it I have to reboot the computer for the print job to go through. The second problem I am having has to do with the updates, when I go to Microsoft Updates and try to update windows it will download the updates but it won't install them. I get a fail to install on all of them. The only way I can get them to install is to set it up to download but install on shut down. That is all well and good except that it only gets the critical updates, not the hardware or software updates that are optional.

Back to the first problem I have checked the drivers for the printer and have the most recent drivers installed on all computers that have access to this particular printer. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it with no luck. Everything was working fine on it a week ago but all of sudden it wouldn't print from any computer, everything just locked up on it. Rebooting it didn't fix it and I finally had to uninstall and reinstall it, that was the first time that I did it. I have since uninstalled and reinstalled one other time.

Does anyone have any idea where the problem may lie? Device manager shows no problems and that everything is working properly but it isn't.

Thank you in advance for any help or ideas, as I said I am at my wits end, totally stumped.

L Langston

Advertisements

llangston

llangston

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
OK, the issue I was having with the printer has been resolved. The 'bidirectional printing' box was checked for some reason :) , I unchecked it and now that is working fine.

I am still having problems with the Windows Updates. They will download but will not install.

L Langston

llangston

llangston

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
All issues with this computer have now been resolved. The problem with the Windows Update resulted from a Windows Repair that I did on the computer using a recovery disk that came with the computer. Microsoft changed their Windows Update files to use a file called wups2.dll and that file is not present on the older Windows XP recovery disks. It was however still on the hard drive and I just had to re-register it. This is the formula that I was given to fix this problem...

Stop the Windows Automatic Updates Service via the command prompt.

Click on Start, Run
Type cmd and click OK
At the command prompt, type the following command then press Enter...

net stop wuauserv

Re-Register the WUPS2.DLL file

Still at the command prompt, type the following command and press Enter

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll

Restart the Automatic Updates Service

At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing Enter after each

net start wuauserv
exit

Restart the computer and run Windows Updates, they should now download and install properly.

It worked for me :)

L Langston