Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Problems

• Please log in to reply

Hitokage

Hitokage

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Well on top of the other weird things this laptop has (inherited from my father, like a screen that is splitting in half ><) it will do something VERY random things.

There is a fan on the bottom of it then, while windows is booting up, will turn on. This laptop gets HOT (almost painful to touch with fingers, painful if left on thighs too long, etc) and I have no idea how to keep this fan running.

If the power plug gets unplugged, no matter how long the laptop has been charging, it automatically complains 'you may want to plug in your laptop...' blah blah. Sometimes it will even go into stand by mode or even shut down!

This happens if its unplugged only. Plugged in, its fine. If I unplug it to go somewhere or something, just doing anything it will just happily go into standby mode for no reason! ARG it is driving me insane! Help, please!

- Annoyed kitty-geek

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
your battery is dead/dying....they do not last forever and they will not hold a charge after a certain length of time.

the fan thing....I cannot say---malfunctioning sensor? Are you sure it is not running,,,,just running slowly

Hitokage

Hitokage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Thank you. Have told father who has grunted and agreed to, dundundun... get me a new laptop and finally admitted giving me his whole piece o'junk was maybe not such a good idea. ^^ Thank you again

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Ahh, well, that was a good deal then....(you could by a new battery, but we won't tell him).

As for the fan, does it run, perhaps, at a low level ? Or do we not want to know :tazz:

Hitokage

Hitokage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
rofl on the battery thing.

fan does not run at ALL. ever, except during boot ups.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what kind of laptop?

Hitokage

Hitokage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
You'll laugh. A Win Book 2000 *snickers*