Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SERVICES.exe has generated an error...

• Please log in to reply

jessnelvis

jessnelvis

• Pip
  • 4 posts
The last couple of days, my computer randomly gives me an error messages that says:

SERVICES.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows.
You will need to restart the program.
An error log is being created.

Then, a shut down box pops up and says something about "status code - 1073741819", and tells me my computer will shut down in one minute... and there's a timer on there that counts down and when the minute is up, my computer shuts itself down and restarts.

WHAT IN THE WORLD!?! :)

I've run Adaware, Spybot S&D, SuperAntiSpyware, and cleared my temporary internet files, etc, through disk cleanup. It's still doing it, and it's getting on my nerves because I can't get ANY work done. It's doing this like ever 30 minutes or hour or so. Every time I get something almost completed, this stupid message pops up and I lose whatever it is I'm working on.

What's wrong, and how do I fix it? :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Advertisements

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Hello,

Sounds to me like you need to do a Repair install of you XP.

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Cheers,
Mak

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hi jessnelvis,

This is a internet Worm (Sasser.A, Sasser.B, Sasser.C). You need to install the MS security patches to be protected against malware exploiting Windows vulnerabilities. In this case you need to install MS04-011.

Regards,

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Installing a patch after the infection will not do much good.

jessnelvis

Please follow the instructions in this link if you would like to receive help in the Malware Removal forum. Otherwise your best bet might be to follow Mak's instructions.

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

jessnelvis

jessnelvis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi :)
I clicked the link that ScHwErV provided and I followed those steps. I've used I don't know HOW many anti-virus scans and checks and such, and I've updated my Windows (I have Windows 2000, not XP). I continually do disk cleanup and such, but my computer is still shutting itself down whenever it feels like it.
I think i followed the directions correctly....

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
You have to post that log in the Malware Removal forum, not here

jessnelvis

jessnelvis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Oh gosh!