Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Some Problems I have with my computer.

• Please log in to reply

Poseido

Poseido

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello.

Well, Off i go. Im never good at starting things like this. Ok I have some problems with my computer, Which are beginning to concern me.

The Number one on the list.
My computer beeps 5 times when the the power button is pressed. I have looked these up but im not sure what they mean. (A recording should be coming soon.)

Number two.
When i turn it on my PSU makes this horrible Scraping sound, It sound like electrical problems. But i then discovered when i turn my fans down low this happens. But when they are up they will only do it at start up.

Number three.
There is a green light on my mother board, Its an ASUS A8V, I searched this and it seemed that if its on it means it good, But im not completely sure.

Some help would be really apperiacted, I really want to get it done before its to late.

If you need anymore information, wether it be a DxDiag, Or anything else, Please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Hi Poseido

Let me try and help

1- 5 beeps does not seem to be a good sign. Some forms say that the either the cpu is not sitting right or that mother board is telling you that his life is ending. So try and re set the processor.

2- It could be that you have a wire touching the cpu fan and when it starts to spin it manages to move it a bit away so it stops. look and see that no wires are next to the blades. maybe the fast speed blows it away a bit.

3- The green light on the mother board is an indicator that it is getting power. Nothing more. If you un plug the computer then after a few seconds it will go off.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Another thing to check on question 1 is that the memory is seated properly. I had a computer doing this and reseating the memory stopped the beeping.

Fans that are making a lot of noise need to be replaced. they can gather dust and lint inside the motors which causes them to slow down and can be very noisy. Enough lint inside the fan can cause them to make scraping sounds as the lint binds the motor shaft and heat up. I have seen computer where the fans actually had a burnt smell to them from the lint getting too hot. Funny that the computer was brought in because it was shutting off from overheating. Bad fans cause this very quickly. They are cheap to replace at $3 to $10.

http://www.directron.com/80mmfans.html

SRX660