Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fake Windows Security Sign

• Please log in to reply

Spader

Spader

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Something happened, and malware was installed onto my system. Luckily, I saw that it was a fake anti-spyware program quickly, and disabled/deleted it before it could start really bothering me. However, there is still a problem: I have a fake Windows security icon that switched from an X with a red background to a ? with a blue background. The reason that this is annoying is that it pops up with a bogus message often, telling me that I have malware on my system. This popup message takes priority over all of my other windows, so if I am running a program in fullscreen (i.e. a game) mode, this message pops up and minimizes the program/makes the program that I was using inactive.

Long story short: I want to get rid of the fake icon, and no matter what I do, I can't find the process that controls it in the task manager that deals with it, nor can I find the process that opens it on startup in the MSCONFIG program.

Advertisements

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Hello Spader,

Welcome to GTG. Your best option will be to check out the Malware section and have you system checked by the experts here.

http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

Cheers,
Mak

Edited by Makaveli213, 24 June 2008 - 09:20 PM.

Spader

Spader

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hooray! I have solved the problem by simply running Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware program and doing a quick scan. I have created a System Restore point, and hope I never see the stupid little fake icon again!