Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB devices crashing system

• Please log in to reply

gheys

gheys

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 on which I recently replaced the hard drive. After this, the USB ports were working fine (Epsom printer, nintendo charger,linksys VOIP hub) until I used my Ipod (Classic, clickwheel,photo). This resulted in Ipod going into shutdown mode(unable to be started by all of the 5Rs that apple recommend) , and XP having a blue-screen fit (0x0000007E,(0x0000005C,...,...)) error.
Since then, everytime I connect either the printer or the Ipod, the blue-screen happens, same error code. However, I can use the linksys VOIP and nintendo charger fine.
The Ipod was able to be ressucitated using another laptop and works fine - so is not a device issue. Printer also can be used by other laptop.
Prior to troubles I had reinstalled XP and SP3, and done all the updates that Dell and Windows advised. Am using BIOS A38.
I have deleted and re-installed all the drivers, there are no yellow exclamation marks at all.

I thought it must be something to do with the power in the USB ports, however I bought a USB PCMCIA card with external power, and the same issue happened.

I wonder if this is a USB1.1 vs. 2.0 compatability issue, but my hardware is so standard that I cannot believe the SP3/Dell updates have not already dealt with.

Any help most gratefully received.

Advertisements

gheys

gheys

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 on which I recently replaced the hard drive. After this, the USB ports were working fine (Epsom printer, nintendo charger,linksys VOIP hub) until I used my Ipod (Classic, clickwheel,photo). This resulted in Ipod going into shutdown mode(unable to be started by all of the 5Rs that apple recommend) , and XP having a blue-screen fit (0x0000007E,(0x0000005C,...,...)) error.
Since then, everytime I connect either the printer or the Ipod, the blue-screen happens, same error code. However, I can use the linksys VOIP and nintendo charger fine.
The Ipod was able to be ressucitated using another laptop and works fine - so is not a device issue. Printer also can be used by other laptop.
Prior to troubles I had reinstalled XP and SP3, and done all the updates that Dell and Windows advised. Am using BIOS A38.
I have deleted and re-installed all the drivers, there are no yellow exclamation marks at all.

I thought it must be something to do with the power in the USB ports, however I bought a USB PCMCIA card with external power, and the same issue happened.

I wonder if this is a USB1.1 vs. 2.0 compatability issue, but my hardware is so standard that I cannot believe the SP3/Dell updates have not already dealt with.

gheys

gheys

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts