Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

EVGA 8800 GTS/320 PCIX video card

• Please log in to reply

Picky

Picky

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I had to pull a video card out, the Evga 8800 gts/320 PCI X. I had freeze up and all kinds of problems. I was running the latest driver. Below are the spec for the PC. I put a EVGA 8400/ 512 PCIX card in and have had no problems. Has there been problems with the 8800 GTS?

Roswill 500 watt PS
Gigabyte 81945PL-G
1 Gig of micron DDR2 3200
core dual intel 3.2

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
What makes you think that your issues were related to your video card?

What kind of issues were you experiencing exactly?

Trevor e

Trevor e

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I use a 8800 gts 320. What drivers did you use. Go too the NVIDIA site, search the Beta and older drivers area and download a couple off other older drivers, say 4 versions ago and try them. Its not always the latest driver is the best for an individual computer, sometimes updating the driver can make your card worse. I run Vista 64 bit and the older 169.25 DRIVER is better performance wise on my PC.

Good luck Trev

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I tried the drivers that came with the card, I downloaded the new drivers, I continue to have instability and freeze up at the snap of a finger. I swapped the card with a 8400 GT and was playing games, doing virus scans, on the Internet at the same time and with no stability problems. I believe that this card needs a continuous supply of electricity from the power grid. The 8400gt was a used card I had laying around in another PC. I ordered a EVGA 8600 G/512 PCIEX and I think that will supply what I need. I believe that I would have to increase the size of the power supply and change motherboards to let that card work right.