Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

settng up a website

• Please log in to reply

jodie20

jodie20

• Pip
  • 1 posts
help im trying to set up a web site for my new boss i have managed to design it and its all ready to go however the next step in the book is to go to the start menu select programs then accessories then internet tool bar however there is no internet tool bar there and i need it where else could i look or is there a way of installing it or another way to connect my designs to the internet. im reading how to do just about anything on computers and i still havent find anything HELP!!!!

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Little confused here. If you are putting up a web site for your boss, you need to get a hosting site to host your web pages, graphics, etc.. If you plan on using scripting languages and databases, then you need a paid hosting site.

Once you have the hosting site, there are two ways (maybe more) of getting your pages online. One is to use the hosting site's Control Panel given you to upload or copy/paste your pages into the correct folders. Second, you could use FTP, which is much faster and allows for multiple files/folder uploads.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 25 June 2008 - 10:55 AM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
If you have your own FQDN then you could host the site yourself. Your options for hosting basically consist of Apache or IIS since they cover 90% of the market share. The other 10% are most likely server such as WEbrick and Mongrel used for hosting ruby apps.

Just curious, what book are you reading?

Does this website include active content such as php or javascript?