Jump to content

Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

settng up a website

  • Please log in to reply



    New Member

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
help im trying to set up a web site for my new boss i have managed to design it and its all ready to go however the next step in the book is to go to the start menu select programs then accessories then internet tool bar however there is no internet tool bar there and i need it where else could i look or is there a way of installing it or another way to connect my designs to the internet. im reading how to do just about anything on computers and i still havent find anything HELP!!!!
  • 0


Major Payne

Major Payne

    Retired Staff

  • Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Little confused here. If you are putting up a web site for your boss, you need to get a hosting site to host your web pages, graphics, etc.. If you plan on using scripting languages and databases, then you need a paid hosting site.

Once you have the hosting site, there are two ways (maybe more) of getting your pages online. One is to use the hosting site's Control Panel given you to upload or copy/paste your pages into the correct folders. Second, you could use FTP, which is much faster and allows for multiple files/folder uploads.


Edited by Major Payne, 25 June 2008 - 10:55 AM.

  • 0




  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
If you have your own FQDN then you could host the site yourself. Your options for hosting basically consist of Apache or IIS since they cover 90% of the market share. The other 10% are most likely server such as WEbrick and Mongrel used for hosting ruby apps.

Just curious, what book are you reading?

Does this website include active content such as php or javascript?
  • 0

Similar Topics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP