Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fuzzy screen display

• Please log in to reply

MaseratiGT-RS

MaseratiGT-RS

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
A couple days ago , when i started the computer the screen started to be fuzzy. Every time i restart the computer i get the same result. i updated my video card, uninstalled and then reinstalled it and i still get the same problem, i also got a new monitor so that is not the problem either. can anyone give any ideas what to try next?

Advertisements

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hello MaseratiGT-RS,

Welcome to Geeks To Go.

Sounds like it might be a cable problem, make sure the cable isn't severly bent or kinked, especially near the plug ends.

Disconnect all cables from the display to the PC, check for damage, and then re-connect fully, making sure everything that can be screwed up tighly, has been.

Regards,

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
And,if the cable isn't the problem, try updating both the video card and monitor drivers from the manufacturer's site.

Ron

MaseratiGT-RS

MaseratiGT-RS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
my cables are fin and i upgraded my video drivers but ill check for the monitor

MaseratiGT-RS

MaseratiGT-RS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i just upgraded my monitor drivers and still a problem. Could It be the motherboard?

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Hello,

Are yo using onboard video or a dedicated video card? You could also be having a driver conflict. I would recommend using Driver Cleaner Pro:

http://downloads.gur...oad.php?det=745

Remove all the video drivers and start fresh with a new install of your video drivers. See if that helps to clear up the issue.

Cheers,
Mak

MaseratiGT-RS

MaseratiGT-RS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
it is an onboard vidoe card that came on the motherboard

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Each screen is rated by the manufacturer for a single optimum resolution, any other setting usally results in a fuzzy appearance. Check the specs on yours with the manufacturer, it is usally the maximum resolution that is the sharpest.
Try change the resolution. Also try change screen refresh rate.

Regards,

Edited by mirjel, 26 June 2008 - 01:45 AM.

MaseratiGT-RS

MaseratiGT-RS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i have been fiddling the refresh rate and it goes from less fuzzy to where i can not read anything the monitor i have now is 21' and i have the resolution at 1600 x 1200. i have used the drive cleaner and i followed each step correctly and i still looks the same. do you think dust could of gotten in the tiny holes or is it the motherboard?

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
MaseratiGT-RS , please try a lower resolution screen, try both 1280 x 800 and 1440 x 900. That will let you see how large your desktop would be at each resolution and what happens with fuzzy.

Regards,

Advertisements

MaseratiGT-RS

MaseratiGT-RS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
when i change my screen resolution the fuzziness get mild to worse even when i change the refresh rate. i just want this to go away and i have no idea's to do it i also reinstalled my windows version and it is still the same.

Soulstorm9000

Soulstorm9000

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm no expert, I've just joined. The reason I clicked on the thread is that I occasionally get a problem that sounds similar, but under different circumstances. When you say 'Fuzzy', do images on the screen look larger than normal also? If so, then it may be a system problem, rather that an issue with the monitor or graphics cards etc.

I thought I'd post this incase you and the adviser are thinking of different interpretations of 'fuzzy'. It is kinda vague! When what I described happens to me, I get a pop up saying that 'Windows has detected and recovered from... some kind of failure'. I re-boot then it's fine.

This may be unconnected to your issue entirely, but posted just in case.... :)

MaseratiGT-RS

MaseratiGT-RS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
well, soulstorm my definition is my screen ripples continpusly and i am not sure what is causing it.

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Chances are you are dealing with a defective video adapter . To test barrow another video adapter (if you have - new or old) and use it on this machine. New video adapter put in the slot available on motheboard.

If that's the case, disable the onboard graphics in the BIOS (if the option is there) and ensure that it's set for the add-in card that you'll have to purchase. If you don't have option to disable the onboard graphics in the BIOS do this : right click my computer>propertis>hardware>device manager>display adapters>right click on grafic card>disable>restart computer.

Regards,

MaseratiGT-RS

MaseratiGT-RS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
mirjel, i have an on board video i cant remove it from the motherboard is there anyway to fix this?