Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Cards - Which is better?

• Please log in to reply

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Ok, so please no Nvidia fan boys on this one. I have an extra X800 and an extra X1550 sitting here and one computer to put one of the cards in. I normally would do a little research and figure out which one is better but this time im being lazy. At first glance the X800 seems better as it is a bigger more beefy looking card, but it is also 4 years old. The X1550 looks like a wimp in comparison but it isnt nearly as old. Both cards have 256mb of GDDR2 in them. Both have one DVI and one VGA port.

SO any other useful info would be helpful . Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The X800XL is old technology now but I had one of these and I was so pleased with it. I only changed it because I got a good deal on a better card on eBay.

Anyway...
http://www.tomshardw...ew-30439-8.html places the X800XL in terms of performance alone above the X1550 by four tiers. So performance wise its still a very good card despite its age. Which you go for depends what the computer is going to be used for - Internet use alone it doesn't matter.

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Wow, nice link. And I think I actually agree with that tier chart for the most part. I have had the X800XL for a couple years now and it still performs nicely in COD4, UT3, BF2 etc.. I have seen the X1550 run games like Half Life 2 and some other not so graphics intense games. The main purpose of this machine is going to be as a secondary gaming rig for my kids friends when they come over for slumber parties. The graphics don't need to be top notch, it just needs to be good enough to play the game.

So that being said, I think I'll stick with the X800XL and save the X1550 for a clients computer.

Edited by RjBass, 29 June 2008 - 12:23 AM.