Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

User Corrupted...

• Please log in to reply

jesseee

jesseee

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,
When I went to log into my administrator account yesterday I got a message saying that the user has been corrupted and I would be logged into a temporary account. From then on I have not been able to get back into my normal account with my normal settings/programs. Everything from my old account is now buried in the "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.bak\Desktop\" directory. Is there a way to get my old administrator account back working so that I do not constantly log into a temporary one that erases all my data each time I log off?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jesse
Also I am running Windows 2000 professional

Edited by jesseee, 25 June 2008 - 11:42 AM.

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello jesseee and welcome to Geeks To Go

The easiest way to fix this would be to create a new user account however I strongly advise that you backup all the data you can before using the new account.

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 26 June 2008 - 02:41 PM.

jesseee

jesseee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, thanks for the reply.
When I create the new user how do I then transfer these Administrator.bak files? Will they be lost?

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello jesseee

With this being a new user account I would think these files would be lost. I have just had a quick search on google for this and I couldn't find the information I was looking for but taking it is a new user account I would say that you would possibly lose these.

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Hello,

You can copy a corrupt profile over to a new one to resolve many user profile issues.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

The Microsoft KB article on how to do this.

Cheers,
Mak

jesseee

jesseee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Will these same steps work if I am running Windows 2000?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
It should do :)

Regards,
Olrik