Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Logonscript for linux?

• Please log in to reply

ftornell

ftornell

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,
Im a true blue nut! But I use Linux in the flavors of Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE and Linux Mint.

I have an Active Directory at home with a few clients that saves data to the local harddrive and then when the clients logoff it ships all documents stuff to the homefolder of the server!

Is this possible to accomplish in the Linux world now, with out Novell! :)

Like map some volumes or stuff in a loginscript to either a Windows Server or a Linux Server I would be glad.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You can either mount a remote filesystem (ie. NFS), or you can transfer the files using something like rsync or rdist. You should be able to modify the window process such that when the display manager exits that it runs the transfer.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Personally, I would go the rsync route (mostly because I have used it and know that it works). Rsync natively has the ability to send it's backup via scp over a ssh connection. In order for this to work properly.

You will need to generate a public and private key since a script can not give out a password for you. The format for sending a rysnc backup via ssh is like this if you were backing up your home directory:

#rsync -avrz --delete --delete-excluded --rsh="ssh -p $SSHPORT -i /home/$USER/.ssh/backup" $BACKUPDIR $USER@$IPADDRESS:/home/$USER/backup/

The method in which you execute this script on startup can be different for each distro (at least the method I use would only work in Ubuntu).