Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

EVIL kernel_task running wild on Mac PowerBook G4

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hello,

Yes, If I'm remembering right I have seen some other sites making mention that kernel_task is nothing to worry about. Mac users are saying how they check Activity Monitor and see it's running at 7 or 8% and slowing things down some. Mine runs 60%, 70%, 86%, 92% and even something like "system locked up"! Talk about computer slowed down!! I'm not sure if it's just when I first start up the laptop or if it's after I connect to the Internet. It usually stays as Process ID 0, is a Root User, has 48 threads and 2 ports. Let's see - right now it has CPU time of 5.32.65 with 45,045.68 (and still climbing), has 98.55 MB of Real Memory with 1.03 GB of Virtual Memory. The next heaviest user of Real Memory is Firefox at 78.37 MB. I'm guessing the slowing down of the computer lasts around 5 to 10 minutes.

Guess what - I don't like this! I want to get rid of this slow down! I've had this problem for a while and can not point to one event that caused it to be slow from that point on.

I'm a PC and Mac user. I don't mind looking around in the computer with someone's guidance. Any suggestions on what to do? Any thing else I should do to look around and see what's going on?

MUCH thanks!
bamakodaker

Advertisements

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Does this explain what I'm to do with my laptop? Is it considered a Server?

http://www.creativet...ssible_fix.html
http://discussions.a...ssageID=5463385
http://docs.info.app...l?artnum=305167

Issue or symptom
As clients search mounted network volumes, the kernel_task process (pid 0) on the server is allocated more and more RAM. System administrators may notice that the amount of RAM allocated to the kernel_task process may be close to 2 GB. On servers configured with 2 GB or 3 GB of RAM, this can result in server performance degrading, or the server becoming unresponsive, or restarting unexpectedly.

Products affected
  • Mac OS X Server (Universal) 10.4.7 or later
Solution
You can make the following change to /etc/rc.server to improve performance in this situation. This is recommended only if your server has 2 GB, 3 GB, or 4 GB of RAM.

• Make a copy of /etc/rc.server with this command:

$ sudo cp /etc/rc.server /etc/rc.server.bak
  • As the root user, open /etc/rc.server in the text editor of your choice. (Apple Script Utility or Terminal?)
  • Locate this line in /etc/rc.server:
    sysctl -w kern.maxnbuf=90000
  • Change the number 90000 to 20000, so that the line reads:
    sysctl -w kern.maxnbuf=20000
  • Save the changes made to /etc/rc.server.
  • Restart the server.