Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP theme

• Please log in to reply

p.waddingham

p.waddingham

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Recently installed http://www.greyknigh...pairDesktop.reg to help fix a malware problem and now only the windows classic theme is available and i was wondering how i would get back the XP theme (see photo attached).
Thanks,
Pete

Attached Files

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
under the THEMES tab, did you select a new theme?

p.waddingham

p.waddingham

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No, it's set to Windows XP on themes but there is no XP version in the appearance tab.
Pete

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
but did you change the theme, and change it back?

The reason I asked is that the reg file you downloaded blanked the registry settings for the theme, but changing then changing back should re-establish them....the files are untouched by his patch.

p.waddingham

p.waddingham

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well, I don't think I did. I hadn't altered my themes at all while I was following his instructions to clean up my computer. But when I had finished, I realised the theme had changed, so when I put it back on the XP theme, I realised it was still slightly different than before I had done anything, so I just assumed it was the registry change that had affected it, but I had no idea. I wondered if there was an easy way of re-installing the theme to get it back to how it was before.
Thanks,
Pete

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
just use themes to change it to windows classic. hit apply, then change it back