Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GMail Disappeared!

• Please log in to reply

jacobt

jacobt

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Hi. I just logged into my gmail account and all my email has disappeared. I last logged in last night and had something like 3000 messages in my box. I logged in right now and I have 27 messages--all my messages from around 10 AM this morning to now. Is something going on with gmail or did my mailbox get hacked into? I have not been accessing email via POP or IMAP, so nothing should have been deleted that way. I am freaking out, if anybody can help me please provide any info that may help me figure out what happened. Thank you in advance.

Also, note - I have gone into ALL MAIL, TRASH, ARCHIVE, etcetera and have not found my missing mail.

Edited by jacobt, 26 June 2008 - 12:26 AM.

Advertisements

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Hello,

If the mail is not in your All Mail folder then you should contact Google right away. Find out if they had a server crash. That could be the cause also. If not then i would advise them to check into the IP logs for your email address and see who has accessed it. Cause at that point it was hacked.

Cheers,
Mak

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hi jacobt,

GMail is AJAX interface on a bunch of webservers, AFAIK. In such cases HTML e-mail content goes through a complex sanitation and it would be tricky to write a script that cleans up its traces (only) when propagated through the GMail.
With you demonstratin I am fairly confident that this is a case of applied filtering on a view of e-mail list and not self deleting e-mail.

Regards,

jacobt

jacobt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Update: I just received this message box when logging on to GMail [See attachment]. I am not sure if this is relevant or not. I don't recall ever receiving a message box like this before. Then again, I don't remember not receiving a message box like this before, either. Perhaps I am being overly cautious.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• google2.jpg

Edited by jacobt, 05 July 2008 - 01:26 AM.

Firebucket

Firebucket

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Just to be safe, I would change your password and make sure you don't store it in ANY of your web browsers.
It may not have been a hack, but just to be safe.

FireB :)