Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

user acct's log in and out

• Please log in to reply

ahmooresville

ahmooresville

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
OK guys, here is my problem, and I will try to be as descriptive as possible... I decided to remove AVG from my PC and install avast (as it seemed that avg was slowing my computer way down) so, I went to add/remove progs and uninstalled AVG, then restarted my computer... Now, computer seems to reboot normally, when I get to the welcome screen, and choose a user acct. it logs in and you see the background, but no desktop icons, then logs right back out.
I have tried to log in under safe mode, and all of the options listed under boot options, and still the same thing. it will not allow me past the welcome screen at all... Here is my system information, any help will be greatly appreciated..
Sys: Dell P4 40gb HD 512Mb ram (about 10 yrs old)

Thanks for your assistance and knowledge,
Andy

Advertisements

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hi ahmooresville,

The only way to do anything in this situation is CTRL-ALT-DEL and run programs though the task manager.

Regards,

Edited by Rorschach112, 26 June 2008 - 10:21 AM.
Removed malware advice

ahmooresville

ahmooresville

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Well, thanks to the guys on the chat forum I figured something out.. started to repair the windows system files useing the windows CD, only to have it mess up and reset an admin password that I could not figure out.... so, here's what I did, and am doing.. I installed a 2nd OS into a folder called c:\windows1 and then accessed the files that I did not want to lose by reformating, xfered them to an ext HD and then deleted the partition and reformated the drive with a fresh new OS... Not sure if it was the best way to do it, but it worked.. thanks again to the guys who helped me in the chat forum (don't remember the names or I would mention them specifically)
This post can be closed. Thanks,
AHMooresville

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Glad you got sorted… thanks for keeping us informed and letting us know how you fixed it :)

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Hi ahmooresville,

The only way to do anything in this situation is CTRL-ALT-DEL and run programs though the task manager.

Regards,

This is an issue with windows explorer running.
There are a few ways to fix this issue (like using the recovery console).
I can not believe that you posted what you did!
As a tech staff member I am upset that you have given this kind of advice!
AHMooresville,
I am glad that the paralell installation worked for you.

Edited by hfcg, 26 June 2008 - 02:52 PM.

ahmooresville

ahmooresville

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
hfcg, I believe I plainly stated that it may not have been the right way to do it, only that it worked in my case, and... this in no way constitutes advice of any kind! OK, to address the first piece of advice I recieved in this forum, how am I to ctrl-alt-del when I cannot under any boot get past the welcome screen?... I am not here to bicker, and with the exception of this thread I have always recieved excelent advice from this forum... Thank you for your assistance,
AHM

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
My opologys ahmooresville,
I was not refering to you, and I should have been more specific.
What mirjel said was the bad advice.

ahmooresville

ahmooresville

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
No, I'm sorry, my misunderstanding... Thanks guys for everything.. Have a great day!