Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Changing Drive Letter Designation ?

• Please log in to reply

geno368

geno368

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I have just replaced a SATA hard drive that crashed. I booted with the original XP Pro cd and installed . Somehow, the setup named the hd with letter "I" I want to change it back to C. I don't remember it ever asking me what letter to use. Is there a way to change it without reloading XP? I went to disk management, but it wouldn't let me change it because it is the boot drive. Thanks>

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
No

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hi geno368,

You wouold not want to change C since that is the boot drive. You could make the system unbootable, if changing the boot drive is even possible.
You can change drive letters at will (other than the boot drive) by going through Computer Management-Disk Management and right-clicking on the drive. You have an option to change the drive letter and path. This option is even available on the boot drive. Changing that could be perilous, then again, maybe XP will handle it without a problem. Either way, make sure you have good backups before trying it.

Regards,

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
You can not change the boot drive. There is a way to allow it to run as a "C" dive, but in a virtual state. I know because I had the same thing 1 time. The virtual state was a pain.

Better off to reinstall. This time disconnect all other hard drives in the system. Leaving them in is usually what creates this problem.