Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HARD DRIVE

• Please log in to reply

breathe easy

breathe easy

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
i have a problem... this is how it started.
i copied files (almost 50g data)onto my 250gb external hd as backup.
i checked to make sure it has been properly copied. i then shut down my system after i had taken out the ext hd and went to bed.
so here i am next morning trying to access the copied data on the ext hd, the folders were there alrite. but it reads the file size of the folders as zero, i really dont understand what was going on. i've tried everything i know and i am out of ideas. it doesnt allow me to access the files in the folders on the ext hard drive.
the funny thing is that the partitioned hd (where i copied the files to) reads it's size as 48.3gb, (out of the total size of 60g), as exactly the size of the data i copied on to it. now i need the files urgently or i could get fired cuz i have deleted to original data on my main pc hd.
i need help plz.

Advertisements

ShortGirl2

ShortGirl2

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
What program did you use to back it up with?? Or did you just copy it over to the external hard drive?? I'm asking because if you used software to back it up, a lot of times the programs use compression, so you'd need the program to read the files.

ShortGirl2

ShortGirl2

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hey- I thought about this after I replied the first time! :) Did the external drive that you used require drivers?? If so, that could be part of your problem!

breathe easy

breathe easy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
thanx alot for getting back at me. yes windows installed it correctly. and i have some files on the other partitions of the hard drive that i can access. but the very drive that has the files i need the most cannot show me the files in the folders. its as if its locked. the data in that partion reads 48.3gb. but then when u get in the drive to access the folders, the size is zero. i dont really understand what it is. i doubt if its a virus. and yea i dint use a program to back up. i just copied it straight over the usb.
am so in need right now

thank you again for getting back as soon as it is.