Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista only starts and boots in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

Baard

Baard

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My Dell Vista Pc has worked all right from the purchase date in august 2007 until now. One day it started in safe mode, and every attempt I have made so far to make it boot normally has been unsuccessful.
-System restore: I can do a restore to the last day before the crash, but that does not help.
When trying restore to other dates, there is an error message that this is not possible.
Restore to the "last date with normal function" can be done, but does not solve the problem.
- Different possibilities in F8 boot, including "normal boot": no result
- msconfig: different startup and boot options: no result. When checking "normal startup" there always is " safe boot" as a default. (the combination "Normal startup" and unckecking "safe boot" is not possible. Is this right?)
- F8 and safe boot with network: I will only get limited network (i.e. local), no internet access. (My wife's laptop has got connection)
- Adaware, RegClean, RegCure, Avira, Norton antivirus already installed on the machine were runned (but I could not get updates due to no internet access)
In suspicion of malvare,viruses or trojans I have downloaded (to a memory pen from another machine) and run different programs for cleaning these.

I will do a hardware test on F12, but if that test passes are there other options I should try before reinstalling Windows?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Do you have any USB devices pluged in when you are trying to boot?
Some USB devices will cause issues at start up.
I would look for a conflict with hardware that is installed, and the drivers that go with them.
If you are not connected to the internet how would you get a virus, or spyware?
IMO, you should remove RegClean, RegCure,
You have two anti-virus programs running at the same time! Please remove one of them.
This will cause issues, and is most likely the fault here.

dredme

dredme

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
SPAM is yummy :)

Edited by __RiP_ChAiN_, 29 June 2008 - 02:51 AM.

GustaveEiffel

GustaveEiffel

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have exactly the same problem. Computer only works in safe mode (with possibility to go on the internet though). I did a memory check: fine. I cannot do a system restore (same problem). No problem with entries (Msconfig) ... So, what could be the problem? Thanks!!