Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD drive died...

• Please log in to reply

PGH

PGH

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi guys, this is the problem..

I was installing an old-ish game from 2000 on a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop for the kids when an error message 'could not find x file' popped up during the installation and the install failed. When I had restarted to try again the CD drive had gone from My Computer, is no longer listed under the device manager and has effectively died because it will not open when the button is pressed and the light does not come on at all. I have restarted several times since then but it has well and truly 'gone'.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I've done some searching and people seem to recommend rebooting or replacing the drive but I really can't believe something as stupid as this would require such dramatic remedial measures. I've never had big problems with this particular laptop before.. how can sticking in some stupid old game mess it up so badly?

Thanks for any help/ideas

Edit:

In Event Viewer for the time when it happened
I get:

The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service was successfully sent a start control.
The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service entered the running state.
The Remote Access Connection Manager service entered the running state.
The SSDP Discovery Service service was successfully sent a start control.
The SSDP Discovery Service service entered the running state.
The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service entered the stopped state.
The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period.
The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period.
The device 'SONY DVD+-RW DW-Q58A' (IDE\CdRomSONY_DVD+-RW_DW-Q58A____________________UDS2____\5&281d0fa6&0&0.0.0) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

Before that there were also several yellow warnings:

An error was detected on device \Device\CdRom0 during a paging operation.

Also got:

The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.

Edited by PGH, 26 June 2008 - 01:09 PM.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
sounds like the drive died as "dumb" as you think it sounds... replace the drive.