Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fans & GPU Fan

• Please log in to reply

sixx jpN

sixx jpN

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I've been noticing that my card (8800GT) seems like it's running pretty hot. I'm not the greatest computer genius, but I'm pretty sure my card isn't supposed to be running this hot. I downloaded nTune and used the "nVidia Monitor" and my card sits around 68c out of games. Is that bad or am I just over reacting?

If so I was wondering if using nTune to speed up the fan of my GPU would be harmful in any way to my computer, and if I would have to double check something before I made any adjustments.

This is also something I was wondering about for SLI, and if I would need to speed up/upgrade my case fans before I bought a second 8800GT. If so, how would I do that? Would I have to go into BIOS? Or is there a program I can download to speed up my case fans out of BIOS? And again would there be any precautions I would need to take?

I just want to double check before I upgrade to SLI, that I'm not just throwing in another card and blowing up my system because of overheating. My case fans & my GPU fan are pretty quiet so I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing necessarily.

Thanks in advance.

Here are my basic specs (if for whatever reason you need them):
C2D E6750 @ 2.66 Ghz
2GB DDR2-800
EVGA 8800GT Stock @ 600/900 (1800)
500 GB Hard Drive
600W Power Supply

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
The 8800GT's stock fan is stuck at 29% speed, I suggest you download and install rivatuner and change the speed of it. Are you saying that when you're playing games that the temperature is at 68C? That's a little hot but not bad (I was getting 72C and up when I was playing COD4).

Here's the instruction on how to set up rivatuner -> Tutorial, just do page 1-3, 4-5 is for overclocking the card.

sixx jpN

sixx jpN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I just checked, after playing for about an Hr and 40 mins (CSS & CoD4) it was at 76c. 68c was just viewing web pages.

Also, can I use nTune to speed up the fan or is RivaTuner for GPU and the Case fans? Lastly, if I speed up the GPU fan will I have to do the same with the case fans? Cause in theory wouldn't you be just adding heat at a faster pace if you don't speed up the case fans?

sixx jpN

sixx jpN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Wow, coming out of game right now (CS:S) it's at 83c..... :)

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
That is actually normal for 8800 GT. Unlike the recent trend with CPUs running cooler video cards have been getting hotter. It's nothing to concern yourself with until you have hit 100C. Video cards can handle a bit more heat that CPU can.

sixx jpN

sixx jpN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

That is actually normal for 8800 GT. Unlike the recent trend with CPUs running cooler video cards have been getting hotter. It's nothing to concern yourself with until you have hit 100C. Video cards can handle a bit more heat that CPU can.

Oh, that's good. The last thing I really want to double check is, if I wanted to SLI my 8800GT's is speeding up my fans something I need to do before I do SLI, or should I leave everything as is? (Also I'm assuming there are multiple threads on how to do SLI? This would be my first time doing SLI or CF related type things).

Another thing I just want to double check is, can I go into nTune or another third party program and just set the fan speed to say like 60%? Or are there precautions I need to look at first? Or is it just the fan would be really loud?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Edited by sixx jpN, 27 June 2008 - 01:13 AM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
The fan speed you set is basically going to be functionality vs. amount of noise you tolerate. I have not messed with SLI at all as it usually is no where near cost effective (unless it is a bottomless budget build).

Just curious, why do you think you need another 8800GT? I run games like TF2 in 1900x1200 with 16x FSAA and I don't have any framerate issues.

SLI is getting better but it is often looked at as a marketing gimmick (there are exceptions). You are basically paying twice the price (usually more for a hefty PSU and SLI MOBO) for less than a 50% increase.

sixx jpN

sixx jpN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
So for the fan speeds on the GPU/Case is it really just all about if you can tolerate how loud the sound is, or am I missing something that you said completely?

--

To answer your question one of the main reasons I'm trying to SLI, is due to the type of budget I'm on. I'm the type of guy that will only get to upgrade every 5-6 months, and this would be one step in the right direction in my opinion. The reason I'm choosing SLI over say a 9800GTX or a 4850 (ATI) is due to the fact that from the benchmarks and reviews I have seen so far the 8800GT only performs maybe 10-20% under say a 9800GTX or ATi 4850. And also from benchmarks (which I understand isn't always a reliable source) I've noticed that the performance is actually worth using SLI. I have the same mentality that you do from the stand point that I think SLI is kind of a waste of money at some points.

I'm also looking to upgrade my CPU during the next holiday season, so this is one thing (GPU) that would be off my mind. I do realize that my 8800GT's will probably be considered extinct six months from now. My motherboard is has slots for SLI and I believe my power supply (600W) would be able to handle SLI. At this point I'm just trying to take advantage of the tools I have. :)

Again thanks for all the help so far.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Fan speeds are throttled for two main reasons:

1. Noise

2. Energy Conservation

If you can handle the noise of 100% fan speed on your card all the time then go for it. If the the fan dies your card has a lifetime warranty. Although I have never heard of or seen a fan die on a high end card such as the 8800GT, that is typically only an issue with < $50 cards.

sixx jpN

sixx jpN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks for the clarification.

Even with my graphics card running at 83-85c in games, would it be safe to SLI? Heat-wise? (I'm assuming a 600 Watt power supply will be sufficient to run 8800GT SLI)

Thanks again with all the help.

Edited by sixx jpN, 27 June 2008 - 03:04 AM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Is that 600 watt PSU a quality unit? What manufacturer is it? Is it SLI certified (typically doesn't need the actual SLI certification but it does need two 6pin PCI-E connectors)

I don't think that SLI is going to increase your heat by that much. The only thing that I would even see causing a slight increase in temperature in ambient heat given off by each card.

What case do you have this in and with how many fans?

Edited by Titan8990, 27 June 2008 - 03:33 AM.

sixx jpN

sixx jpN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I bought this from CyberPowerPC (I wasn't too sure how to build a PC back then, still kind of am now), and the case is... custom I guess. There are two fans, but I'm not sure what size they are and to how good they are . From the outside they look pretty big. Other than that it's just the CPU Fan and the GPU Fan. The description off Newegg is a "Kuroshio Gaming Tower With 600W Power Supply." I know that's not too helpful.

The power supply on the front of the box says "Ultra LS"...... That's not too helpful. Is there anything that I could look for on the power supply box that came with the system that would tell me if it has two 6-pin PCI-E connectors? Or am I missing it and is that a cable I should be looking for?

EDIT: I found my case on Newegg. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811156093 Hope that helps. :)

Edited by sixx jpN, 27 June 2008 - 05:26 AM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
The cooling of that case looks sufficient enough. I would not recommend using the Ultra PSU. Your system is going to be pushing somewhere around the 500w range. The closer the max wattage on a PSU you get the less stable that PSU becomes. This is much more true with cheaper power supplies than quality units. Ultra is popular but not of very high quality.

It will get the job done but personally I wouldn't trust it under that kind of load.

Edited by Titan8990, 27 June 2008 - 05:34 AM.

sixx jpN

sixx jpN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
So is the power supply something I can... "put off," so to speak and automatically upgrade to SLI, or is this something that needs to be taken care of before I invest in any future upgrades, whether it be SLI or a more demanding video card?

Thanks again for all the help.

Edited by sixx jpN, 27 June 2008 - 05:49 AM.

sixx jpN

sixx jpN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
If I really do need to upgrade my power supply, what companies are considered high quality?

If the power supply is something that like I said I can "put-off" am I pretty much set to upgrade to SLI?