Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

what video card should I get?

• Please log in to reply

mbungle

mbungle

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have a budget of about 60 dollars(excluding shipping costs), my motherboard does not have pci-e so I have to get agp, my computer's basic specs are as follows

2.8ghz processor w/533mhz fsb
2 gigs of ram
SB audigy sound card
Geforce FX5200 video card

also could someone tell me the difference between ddr3 and gddr3 or was that just a typo on compusa's part?

Advertisements

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Hello mbungle,

Well, $60 is a very small budget to work with. Your best bet is to save up for the 2600xt. It's $100 (excluding shipping) but that's really your best bet to see a noticeable improvement from your current card. What exactly do want a new graphics card for?

And to answer your question, ddr3 is a type of memory used in certain RAM sticks while gddr3 is a type of memory certain graphics cards use.

Edited by reconman, 26 June 2008 - 10:15 PM.

mbungle

mbungle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
are you telling me there is no card for 60 dollars that would be a slight improvement from the 5200fx? and the ddr3 was part of description for a video card so that's not what I'm talking about. http://www.compusa.c...h...2&CatId=318

I'm kind of weary of buying that since it's made by diablotek.

here's one I'm interested in but I don't know if it would really be any better than mine. I need a card with a pixel shader 2 or higher but not if it sacrifices other performance aspects.

http://www.compusa.c...h...0&CatId=318

Edited by mbungle, 27 June 2008 - 12:43 PM.

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Hi there,

There are cards for less money that will give you improvements from your other card but I suggested the hd2600xt because that's really your best bet if you want to play games such as COD4 (at it's lower-mid settings mind you). There are cards for less than $100 that can give you much better performance than your current card but the majority of them are PCI-E x16.

If you want to play most games out today (again, at there lower settings), I suggest going with the cheaper hd2600pro.

It's $80 and I would suggest you try and get the extra $20 to pay for it. You'll be very happy that you did. AGP is dead so there's a very small market for AGP cards so it cost more to make agp cards than it does PCI-E x16 cards. That's why they cost more than the same card with a PCI-E interface.

If you don't want to go over your budget, this will be your best bet

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102751

And the "ddr3" on your link is just a typo :)

Edited by reconman, 27 June 2008 - 02:22 PM.