Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Explorer Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply

rubberStub

rubberStub

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Does anyone know what the following means? It is a copy of the diagnostics run when Explorer couldn't find the internet.
Any and all help is appreciated,

Stu

Last diagnostic run time: 06/26/08 14:33:58 WinSock Diagnostic
WinSock status

info Error attmpting to validate the Winsock base providers: 2
error Not all base service provider entries could be found in the winsock catalog. A reset is needed.
info Redirecting user to support call

Network Adapter Diagnostic
Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
info Ethernet connection selected
Network adapter status

info Network connection status: Connected

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn FTP (Passive): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn FTP (Active): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.passport.net: A connection with the server could not be established
error Could not make an HTTP connection.
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
error Could not make an FTP connection.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this..

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....press enter....to open a command prompt box

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in...... netsh int ip reset reset.log ... press ...enter

rubberStub

rubberStub

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Running the two commands still doesn't allow me to use explorer. Thanks for the suggestion-
Stu

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get firefox...install it see if you can connect to the internet...if you can't we will know its a networking problem and not a OS PROBLEM

rubberStub

rubberStub

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your reply,

Firefox is what I normally use and it works. The reason I need explorer is to update my norton antivirus. I think the problem started when I downloaded a copy of winzip, thinking it was shareware. After installing it I couldn't use explorer or norton antivirus. winzip is now unloaded but there's still no connection with explorer

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you try system restore...
if your using IE7...uninstall it...it will just roll back to IE6..
if your using IE6...install 7...
NORTON does not need IE to update...

Edited by happyrck, 28 June 2008 - 09:13 AM.