Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP to WinXP Pro

• Please log in to reply

aimin_hi

aimin_hi

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm having trouble rebooting my Windows XP. I can't reboot in any of the Safe Mode options, Last Known Good Config, or Start Windows Normally. It keeps going on a loop! I can't find my Windows XP CD, but I found the Windows XP Pro CD for my other desktop. I know I can't recover with this version, but if I install Windows XP Pro to my trouble desktop, would my data still be intact from the Windows XP? I have many files that I haven't backed up yet. I was actually in the process of putting data onto CDs and got through 10% of it when this mess began a couple of days ago. Please help! Thank you.

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

but I found the Windows XP Pro CD for my other desktop. I know I can't recover with this version, but if I install Windows XP Pro to my trouble desktop, would my data still be intact from the Windows XP?

Hello aimin_hi and welcome to Geeks To Go

Reading that part of the post unfortuantly we are unable to help with this as this is considered piracy and is not accepted here at Geeks To Go.

What you need to do is try and find your other cd and do a repair installation, this will fix the problem for you. If you cannot find your original disc you may need to purchase a new one.

Regards

aimin_hi

aimin_hi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ah, it's considered as piracy? I didn't know it would be like that. Okay, thank you, I'll go tackle around the messes in my house some more for the other CD.

Actually, would you be able to help me figure out why I cannot get in the safe mode either? It always pause on a file called mup.sys and then restarts back to the same black screen with the "Windows did not start successfully" yada yada.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Basicly, you can only have XP on 1 computer at a time. Thats due to activation.
If you can borrow a XP home cd, then you can do a repair.

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Actually, would you be able to help me figure out why I cannot get in the safe mode either? It always pause on a file called mup.sys and then restarts back to the same black screen with the "Windows did not start successfully" yada yada.

To long to recite, so I'll provide a link.
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=17761

Regards Abydos

Edited by Abydos, 26 June 2008 - 09:27 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
I would not do a system repair.
I would try this 1st.
I do not know if the xp pro cd recovery console will work on xp home it should AND you should not have any licence worries as this is only running the repair console and not a repair install.
Boot from the Windows XP installation CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will then be asked to log in. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter". When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

When you get to the recovery console prompt:
  • Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd system~1\_resto~1 and press "Enter".
  • Type dir and press "Enter".
After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the "Enter" key until you reach the end of the list
  • Type cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list} and press "Enter". (Example: Type cd rp9 if rp10 is the last restore point.)
  • Type cd snapshot and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:
  • Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd windows\system32\config and press "Enter".
  • Type ren system system.bak and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and start from the beginning.
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 27 June 2008 - 03:22 AM.

aimin_hi

aimin_hi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I would not do a system repair.
I would try this 1st.
I do not know if the xp pro cd recovery console will work on xp home it should AND you should not have any licence worries as this is only running the repair console and not a repair install.
Boot from the Windows XP installation CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will then be asked to log in. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter". When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

Thank you for your tips, everyone. I found the XP Home disc! But I still cannot solve my problem! I've yet to dive into the MUP.SYS issue though.

Peterm, I have done as you said, but I get this message at the grey bar at the bottom instead. "Examining 238473 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi." It's been like that for more than 4 hours now. Is it frozen there or is the system still 'examining'?

I did not make any changes to the hardwares. As for softwares, I'm not so sure if there were anything new added/updated immediately prior to the crash, as this is a family computer. If it helps to know, the computer was frozen twice in a row (CTRL+ALT+DEL did not work, nor ESC, nor ALT+F4) and was shut down abruptly by turning off, and then on a few minutes later, the power button of where the cords were plugged in. This has been done before, but this problem never happened until recently.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
So did you get to the recovery console ?
If not is your bios set to boot from cd.
To check when you 1st start your computer it should say on the screen to press either DEL or F2 or F10
or a combination of keys.
Press which one it says and you should then be taken to the BIOS screen. This is where you look through the options to set the cdrom as 1st boot option. You then have to save your changes - normally F10.
With the cd in it should then reboot from the cd.
Cheers
Peterm

aimin_hi

aimin_hi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes, I did that and even when I set CDrom as the first boot option, I still get frozen at that screen for hours! So I can't get to the actual recovery console.

aimin_hi

aimin_hi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello, can anyone figure out what the problem is?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I've yet to dive into the MUP.SYS issue though.

could you describe that a little better? if you're booting into safe mode you get the giant list of drivers then it hangs on MUP.SYS right? this is usually indicative of a graphics card driver failure (USUALLY.. since the driver that loads after MUP.SYS is usually the video card driver...)

you've obviously got another computer handy so you might want to run out to the store and buy a USB harddrive enclosure, put the drive from your broken PC in it and hook it up to a working computer. from there you should be able to copy off all of your important data before you go too much further and risk losing it

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
Sorry for the delay I started a new job and have not been able to get to my computer.
Since this is not letting you boot we can't do a restore or a repair.
Do you know what drives both computers have eg SATA or IDE.
If not are you ok with taking the cae off to have a look?
Sata drive narrow leads
IDE Drive wide leads.
Cheers
peterm