Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Does my system need an upgrade?

• Please log in to reply

stalksuk

stalksuk

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey guys! I bought this pc about 4years ago now. Heres the spec.

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
CPU Type AMD Athlon 64, 2000 MHz (10 x 200) 3200+
Motherboard Name MSI K8TM-ILSR (MS-6741) (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8383 Apollo K8T800, AMD Hammer
System Memory 1024 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (09/03/03)
Video Adapter RADEON 9800 PRO - Secondary (128 MB)
Video Adapter RADEON 9800 PRO (128 MB)

Now i have no idea if any of this is good/decent. I do have an x800xt but it seems to be buggered, when i put it in, my pc will random crash and freeze up. (think i broke something using compressed air on it)

Do i need an upgrade? Can my computer handle a top gfx card? Not sure about my psu, i think its a 700watt one. Bought it after i got the pc, mainly coz i got an x800xt card.

Is it worth upgrading or better to buy another pc?

Any advice?

thanks!

I use this pc for gaming 99% of the time.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You are defiantly going to want a completely new system. There are two major things that are preventing you from turning this into a decent modern day gaming machine.

The first is the socket 754, which was actually three generations ago now for AMD. This means that you will not be able to drop a new dual core CPU in.

The second is the AGP slot. AGP is a dead technology that got killed my PCI-e x16. All modern cards come in that format.

You need a new mobo, CPU, video card, RAM that will be compatible with your new board. In short, I would get a new rig.

Personally, I wouldn't "buy a PC", I would build it. It is the only way to go.

stalksuk

stalksuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Had a feeling this computer was knackered :)

could you recommend me a decent gaming rig, not to expensive tho =)

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I always recommend you build your own :)

Edited by Titan8990, 27 June 2008 - 11:25 AM.

stalksuk

stalksuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Only thing i've done to a computer was put a psu/gfx/ram in. I couldnt imagine building my own. and plus if i buy a computer, i could pay monthly :) is it really cheaper to build your own?

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
There's not much to building your own computer. You've stated that you've already put in a PSU/GFX/RAM before, there's really not much more to it. Yes, it's MUCH cheaper to build your own computer to your specific specs than to go out and by a Dell or something for more money that performs worse. Take the "plunge" (I wouldn't even consider it that) and build your own. You'll learn a lot, realize how easy it is, and be much happier that you did!

stalksuk

stalksuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
mmm could you tell me whats good? what motherboard? ram? etc, or is there any websites that could help me? I heard putting a cpu in is very tough, and if you make a mistake you could fry the chip? :S

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

mmm could you tell me whats good? what motherboard? ram? etc, or is there any websites that could help me? I heard putting a cpu in is very tough, and if you make a mistake you could fry the chip? :S

If you give us a budget we can help you pick on the ideal parts for the build.

Putting in a CPU itself is not hard. What can be difficult is the application of thermal grease which takes some practice to get it down right. Modern heatsinks that come with CPUs ship with thermal grease pre-applied so that is something you will not need to concern yourself with.

As far as it being cheaper this is only true in certain situations. If you need a computer to browse the internet with the most of the time it is cheaper to just buy a pre-built but if you have $1000 to spend on a gaming rig then building yourself is the way to go IMO.

stalksuk

stalksuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I've always wanted to build my own computer, but never felt confident enough to do so. Guess its time to give it a go.
I have a budget of £1500-£1800 (although if i could build a decent one cheaper, that would be great!) I want something thats gonna last me atleast 3years.

Mainly gonna use the pc for gaming.

Thanks for your help=)

Edited by stalksuk, 28 June 2008 - 03:55 PM.