Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't turn off laptop

• Please log in to reply

paulaj

paulaj

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Have obtained a good used laptop, a Toshiba Satellite Model # 2065CDS with a AMD K6-III 400 processor running Win 98.

Attempted to install a serial mouse this morning and computer asked for driver (computer off and plugged in device). Tried to configure but it said driver in program not compatible. Proceeded, but weren't able to get the mouse to work with proper functionality (didn't have a mouse driver either).

Was able to turn computer off successfully. Removed mouse.

Attempted to turn computer on later in the day and was not able to get to Windows. While initializing a warning came on the screen saying there was internal stack overflow ("NAVAP" - I guess this is related to the Symmantec application in the system) and to change settings in config.sys.

Now can't seem to do anything. Screen is frozen, no DOS prompt, nothing. Have the original documentation and emergency boot disk but there is no help here. How do I turn the computer off. I want to take it to a technician for review tomorow. Do I have to let the battery run itself out for it to die? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Hold down the power button until the lights go off.
Or take the battery out and make sure it isn't running off the power pack. If it runs on fresh air take a trip to the nearest patent office :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you have win 98 installation CD run a fresh installation on top of the present one. There is a good chance that this will fix the problem. If you have drivers CD or can download the drivers from Toshiba, consider clear format and re-installation. For the format you need the emergency diskette. Run FDISK command if you wish to change or create partitions and then run format: c.

I am sure that this is what the technician will do. If you feel that you can do this by yourself you can save your money.

If you wish to attach a mouse, use one with PS2 connection.

paulaj

paulaj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you Neil and the Skeptic. I powered off by holding in the button for 15 seconds. I wasn't aware the laptop had this feature as I could't find it in the original documentation.

Also rebooted and went into safe mode. Have removed many unused aps or suspended those which may have been running in the background and this helped the stack issue as well as overall performance. Ran several system utility programs. I don't have the Win 98 disks so a fresh reload isn't available - I do have the original license and an emergency config builder disk though and if run into this problem again will likely have to use. I did take note the orginal owner had a PS/2 mouse configured with the system and I plugged one in and it worked fine. Thanks again!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.