Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

random PC restarts cant figure out problem..

• Please log in to reply

chevvok

chevvok

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
okay, i just got a dell dimension e510 (not brand new) from a friend who couldn't fix the computer either. i got this PC about a month ago and always had the problems.. when i got it, it started rebooting by itself so i unchecked this so called "dont reboot after system error" option and started getting BSOD instead. BSOD such as "page fault error" and other random messages. i thought it was my ram so i did a test with memtest and it didnt detect any errors. i went out and bought a 1gb module and replaced my old ram. the BSOD stopped and its back to rebooting over again. sometimes it will reboot and end up in a loop.

what could it be? could it be overheating? i only have 3 fans in my system which are 2 fans in the power supply and 1 120mm CPU fan. i ran a program called "PC wizard 2008" and shows my hard drives are at 59c.

also, sometimes my PC will shut down and give a system beep message (1 long, 3 long, 2 long) and cant figure it out...

here is a download link to all my mini dumps that appeared in my minidump windows folder. maybe someone could analyze them for me?

http://rapidshare.co...nidump.zip.html

thanks to all for helping me!

btw, my specs are:

80gb hard drive
pentium 4 3.0GHz
1gb ram
305 watt power supply
geforce 7600GT

i forgot to mention that when my friend had this computer the CPU fan died so he took it to a computer technician and he installed a new fan. the fan was a 122mm fan...

that same technician told him that the hard drive is bad too. but you can at least unplug the hard drive and still get in the bios when sometimes the PC just beeps.

i also noticed that when i lift up on the ram cartridge it makes that same beep sound. i know the ram cant be bad and i tried all 4 of my ram slots.

what i don't get is it does it sometimes randomly.

sorry if i posted in the wrong topic..

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Power off the computer. Remove the RAM module and video card. Wipe the contacts clean with a soft cloth. Use a soft brush to clean the slots. Re-install firmly but without using excessive force.

2: Set the BIOS to defaults.

3: Download Everest from the links below. Install and run it on Computer > Sensor. Wait for the table to fill up and report CPU, motherboard and hard disk temps. Also report voltages.

chevvok

chevvok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
thanks for the reply..

i did all the suggested and nothing worked. everest said my hard drives were at 30c and my graphic card is at 50c. (my CPU dont have sensors..

i just noticed that i have a wrong ram speed on my computer. i mean this computer takes pc2-4200 but in this PC right now is pc2-5300. would that be the problem? i ordered the ram from walmart (4200) but just now realized they sent me the wrong speed. its too late to send it back now because they have a 15 day return policy for computer hardware.

im not sure if this PC fully supports 4200 memory but thats what was originally in my PC.

Edited by chevvok, 27 June 2008 - 06:13 PM.

xxdanielxx

xxdanielxx

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
I check your dump files and most of them point to

pgfilter.sys - PeerGuardian <-- Some antivirus companys say it is malware not sure, It is part of PeerGuardian 2 - a P2P screening and blocking program. Try to disable it from services

Also one of the dump files pointed to 0xD1. Do you use Mylex RAID controller if so below is a link to something that may help

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316208

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

thanks for the reply..

i did all the suggested and nothing worked. everest said my hard drives were at 30c and my graphic card is at 50c. (my CPU dont have sensors..

i just noticed that i have a wrong ram speed on my computer. i mean this computer takes pc2-4200 but in this PC right now is pc2-5300. would that be the problem? i ordered the ram from walmart (4200) but just now realized they sent me the wrong speed. its too late to send it back now because they have a 15 day return policy for computer hardware.

im not sure if this PC fully supports 4200 memory but thats what was originally in my PC.

i would definitely look at the ram
you could check your ram here

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

you say you order it from walmart
is that necessary to do...just asking

Edited by Mr Freeze, 27 June 2008 - 07:02 PM.

chevvok

chevvok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

i would definitely look at the ram
you could check your ram here

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

you say you order it from walmart
is that necessary to do...just asking

thanks for the info. it wasn't necessary but the only cash i had on me at the time was on a walmart giftcard so i had to buy from there. ill never buy there again for computer parts at least since when they shipped it all it was in was a plastic container.. no anti-static container or anything.

i did a memory scan and it said i do have pc2-5300. but it also says Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300,DDR2 PC2-4200 with a maximum of 2GB per slot.

I check your dump files and most of them point to

pgfilter.sys - PeerGuardian <-- Some antivirus companys say it is malware not sure, It is part of PeerGuardian 2 - a P2P screening and blocking program. Try to disable it from services

Also one of the dump files pointed to 0xD1. Do you use Mylex RAID controller if so below is a link to something that may help

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316208

thanks for analyzing them for me. hmm there is no peerguardian software i know of in my services. i mean i used to use it for downloading music from limewire but not now.

i have no idea what controller i use but i cant find mylexs website searching google.

Edited by chevvok, 27 June 2008 - 08:11 PM.

xxdanielxx

xxdanielxx

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
go to the malware section to make sure there is no infection on the computer then post back here

chevvok

chevvok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
thanks for the advice..

i did a malware scan and it found 3 "trojan.agent" files in my system restore files. ill monitor my PC over a few days and see if the problem persists.

xxdanielxx

xxdanielxx

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
You should go to the malware section to make sure you may have alot more

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
This doesn't sound like a malware problem Daniel, please be more careful telling people to go there

Advertisements

xxdanielxx

xxdanielxx

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

This doesn't sound like a malware problem Daniel, please be more careful telling people to go there

KeyKey.sys does this I know because a sister of mine had this infection with the same symptoms. But If it was wrong my bad sorry

ipods619

ipods619

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Let's first confirm that he still has KeyKey.sys on his computer...

Please go to the following directory:

%systemroot%:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\

In here, see if you can locate a file by the name of, (yes you guess it!) Keykey.sys

xxdanielxx

xxdanielxx

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Let's first confirm that he still has KeyKey.sys on his computer...

Please go to the following directory:

%systemroot%:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\

In here, see if you can locate a file by the name of, (yes you guess it!) Keykey.sys

First you can not provide help for malware in here has to be in the malware section. Now this person does not have this infection I said a sister of mine had this problem. Nothing to do with this thread

ipods619

ipods619

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

First you can not provide help for malware in here has to be in the malware section. Now this person does not have this infection I said a sister of mine had this problem. Nothing to do with this thread

Well Daniel, determining if Keykey.sys would enable the choice of sending him to the Malware section. If this isn't the case, then there is probably some other issue floating around in the computer.

Next, you clearly state here:

KeyKey.sys does this I know because a sister of mine had this infection with the same symptoms

Edited by ipods619, 28 June 2008 - 02:26 PM.

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
There was no mention of KeyKey.sys in this whole thread, where did that come from?

daniel and ipods619 please take your discussion elsewhere.

Like Rorschach112 I don't believe this is a malware issue.

Edited by Kat, 28 June 2008 - 02:38 PM.