Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is the Best Way to Back Up Entire Dual Boot HDD including two OS

• Please log in to reply

georgetok

georgetok

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi,

I would like to back up my whole Hard Disk including OS & all partitions few times a day everyday so that if something goes wrong I should have another Hard Disk Ready To Go in matter of few minutes without having to do anything.

I have been doing this with a software called XACT Copy that makes an exact copy of the whole hard disk on a slave drive with OS & all the settings & programs & all the data. In case something goes wrong with one drive I can just replace it with a second drive in less than a minute by connecting the second drive.

The only problem with that software is that it works only with Windows XP & not Windows Vista.

But now am switching to dual boot system with Win XP on C drive & Windows Vista (Ultimate) on the next drive to learn Vista before I switch completely to Vista as my main OS.

Can you guys tell me how do I achieve my above objective ?

Raid -1 is not a good alternative because if Virus is caught it will corrupt both drives and I am not sure if Raid-1 will work with Dual Boot system.

Please help me.

Thank You Very Much.

Advertisements

ipods619

ipods619

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hey georgetok!

I've used O&O for quite a while, but on XP.

I know that they are compatible with Vista as well, so I found you the link you probably would need.

http://www.oo-softwa...ts/oodiskimage/

Regards,

Edited by ipods619, 27 June 2008 - 11:03 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
Ghost also works well
Ghost
Cheers
Peter

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hello georgetok,

Acronis True Image 11 is a disk imaging backup option that enables you to create an image of your entire hard disk drive, including the operating system, applications, user settings, and all data.

Aside from Vista support, Acronis True Image version 11 introduces specific tools for backing up Outlook emails, contacts, calendar entries and all the means to store program-specific settings, which is ideal for any user who likes to heavily customize their software.

Regards,

georgetok

georgetok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Thank you guys.

I really appreciate all the suggestions.

George