Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow xp

• Please log in to reply

rodfree

rodfree

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello,

I have a question more than a problem. Every time I reboot or come out of standby, my computer runs slow for about three minutes and then it is fine. I have scanned repeatedly and found nothing. The computer works perfectly, it is only after coming out of standby that I have this problem. I have been to this site before, so I am familiar with some of the requests that will be made. I found one infected file yesterday, but this problem has been happing for awhile now. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary. Whenever your computer goes in to a sleep or standby mode it transfers the RAM into the hard drive. Windows has an inefficient way of doing this as it fragments that RAM across the hard drive (there is no designated space for this). The slowness you are experiencing is probably the time it is taking that that info to get loaded back into the RAM (although 3min does sound like a long time).

You can check to see if there are programs constantly running that you do no not need running all the time and disable it via msconfig. Also, I would try running a defrag on your hard drive.

Finding occasional "tracking cookies" is nothing to be alarmed about but if this infection is appears to be a virus or the same infection you may want to visit our malware forums: http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

Edited by Titan8990, 26 June 2008 - 08:56 PM.

rodfree

rodfree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello,

That is Good news. The file found was "Win32:adware-gen [ADW]" I don't think that this is a major problem, but I will use the link if you think that I should contact them. Would an increase in memory help the computer defragment faster? I will check for programs that do not need to be running constantly, and I will also defrag the computer(did this about two weeks ago). Thank you again.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
It wouldn't hurt to drop a post in. Most of the time peoples malware problems are fixed by the "Read this Before Posting" thread: http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html.

If that Win32:adware-gen malware keeps reoccurring in your scan than that typically means that it never was removed and there is a good chance you will need the assistance of a malware expert. They are excellent at what they do.

Would an increase in memory help the computer defragment faster?

Typically, adding RAM is the cheapest, most practical way of speeding up your computer. This, however, is only true to a certain extent. I find that typically 1GB of RAM for Windows XP and 2GB for Windows Vista is all you will ever need. RAM is dirt cheap these days.

Edited by Titan8990, 27 June 2008 - 12:44 AM.

rodfree

rodfree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello,

I agree, they are excellent at what they do. I have used the advice of Rorschach 112 when I had a Malware problem before. Maybe this is the reason that that file shows up(this might be the second occurance since May 4) in a scan. I am very low on memory(256), so I think I will definitely take your advice on the memory upgrade. I was wondering how much, because my machine will accept 2G, but I did not think that I needed to max out the machine to achive better performance. Now I know that I don't have to. I have used ATF Cleaner, and defraged the computer, and it actually did not take as long to speed up after coming out of standby. I will continue to look for programs that don't need to run constantly in Startup. I will use the link that you gave me and check back between the two posts to report my progress.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Excellent, I look foreward to hearing how it went.

rodfree

rodfree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello,

Just an update. I have posted in the Waiting Room today because no one has replied to my post in the malware forum. I have not done anything else in regards to our post(adding memory,etc.) because I wanted to be sure that I am clean before I attempt to make any changes/upgrades to my system(no need to corrupt new stuff :) Will keep you informed on my progress or lack thereof.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Sounds good. The malware forums are understaffed for the ammount of traffic they get and requires patience from the user. Hopefully they will get around to you soon.

rodfree

rodfree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello,

I have been posting with koko crunch in the HJT forum and we have had good results. We have run Malwarebytes, SDFix, OTMoveIt2, kaspersky scan, etc. and found one(1) infected file, moved some files, and deleted some programs that I no longer use. The machine is running great, and every time I bring the machine out of standby, it runs fine. It has not slowed down at all in the last 24 hours. I told koko crunch that I will monitor the machine for a while and see if the problem has been solved.Thank you for suggesting that I post there. I will let you know if there is any change in my computer after a couple of days of coming out of standby. Once I delete the working programs(HJT, SDFix, etc.) I will then upgrade the memory as suggested. Thanks again.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Good to hear. Let me know if you need help finding the correct RAM.

Advertisements

rodfree

rodfree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello,

I have deleted the programs and I am now shopping for memory. I am looking for non-ecc, unbuffered, 184 pin dimm memory. I am between Crucial, Kingston, and PNY. I think I am going to go with a 1gig stick of Crucial. If I am looking for the wrong type or too much, let me know. If Crucial is not compatible with Dell Dimnension, I will choose another brand. Dell memory costs more than all the other brands. I am not sure why. Thanks in advance. P.S. the machine is still running fine, even coming out of standby.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
There are different speeds of 184pin DDR RAM. My best suggest is to go to http://crucial.com/ and use their Crucial System Scanning Tool. Don't buy RAM from their website as it will be overpriced. Just post the results here and I will let you know what your best deal will be.

rodfree

rodfree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello,

I have posted some of the results as you requested. PNY did not give any specs, only part numbers needed to order.
From crucial:

All Dell Dimension 2400 Series Memory Upgrades (RAM) / CT323835

Memory Upgrade for the Dell Dimension 2400 Series Desktop/PC
1GB, 184-pin DIMM, DDR PC2700 memory module

1GB, 184-pin DIMM, DDR PC2700 memory module
CT323835US $36.99

Currency converter

Module Size: 1GB
Package: 184-pin DIMM
Feature: DDR PC2700
Specs: DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 128Meg x 64 •

from kingston:

Comments 400MHz FSB (front side bus) systems come standard with DDR 266 (KTD4400/xx).
533MHz FSB (front side bus) systems come standard with DDR 333 (KTD4550/xx).

This system supports DDR266 (KTD4400/xx), DDR333 (KTD4550/xx), and DDR400 (KTD8300/xx) memory. When mixed, the memory speed will default to the slowest speed populated.

I will shop around in stores and see if the prices are lower in store or online.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Sorry I had missed this post. I was just thinking "What happened to that guy?" and managed to dig up the thread. If you have not already picked out some RAM here is my recommendation:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231036

Also, thanks for the info that the Crucial Memory Analyzer tool has been changed.

rodfree

rodfree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello,

I have been out of town on vacation, so I am just getting back to read your post today. I will order this memory that you have suggested. I would have never ordered memory that I did not know anything about. Your reccomendation is more than enough for me. I will never abandon a thread without telling you guys first. You and your peers have been very helpful to me. I Will post back when I get the stick and install it.