Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP freezes on everything

• Please log in to reply

FatalError

FatalError

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I know I made a thread before about this but this one will have more information.

Specs
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 3000+
RAM: 512MB
System Manufacturer: Compaq Presario 061
BIOS: Phoenix - Award BIOS v6.00PG
Video: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5100 64MB
Sound: Realtek AC97 Audio

The problem is that XP freezes on about everything: games, some applications, sometimes while scrolling, rarely on right clicks, and even Ubuntu Linux (wubi version, runs under windows). It rarely, but can, freeze on the user login screen. Heck, it even froze once while typing this thread up!

Sometimes, and only sometimes, everything freezes except the mouse pointer - if I click once or twice, a small "beep" sound occurs and it completely freezes. If I don't click, it'll just freeze without beeping. Also, a few different blue screens may come up, an often one being that the drivers got stuck in an infinite loop (usually with flash, games, etc).

I have tried ATFCleaner, CCleaner, Disk Cleanup, Driver Cleaner Tool and everything to clean out old files, etc. I installed my video cards latest drivers, there are no errors I can think of. I also used HDTune which showed up as 0.0% damaged blocks, and no yellow or red health risks.

Speedfan 4.34 results
Posted Image

Hardware Monitor Log: http://pastebin.com/m586d91ec
HJT: http://pastebin.com/m5439985e

Windows XP came pre-installed so I do not have a recovery or install disk, and I'd like to avoid reformatting if possible. If it interests you, this started since I got a new PSU but I have been told by some people that they see no problems with it.

Please, I need help, it's really annoying and frustrating!

Edited by FatalError, 26 June 2008 - 11:30 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Freezing errors are usually caused by faulty computer memory, on occasion a faulty hard drive or a Windows installation that doesn't work properly.
They can be caused by a faulty power supply as well or by anything that's physically connected to the computer internally or externally including graphics cards and the motherboard itself.

First thing to do is leave Memtest running for a while, overnight is good:
http://www.memtest.org/ and see what happens.