Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

media files cause blue screen computer crash?

• Please log in to reply

kera

kera

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
i have a windows XP computer and everytime i watch a video or listen to music the computer seems to crash, doesn't happen right off all the time but it does happen if i continue to watch youtube or listen to music n all that jazz. when the computer crashes the blue screen usually goes away too quickly for me to copy down the error message then the computer restarts on its own so i don't really know what it says or even if it says the same thing each time. i haven't done anything to my video graphics card (if thats what its called?) and it never used to do this, im not sure how to fix it? anyone with any ideas would be most appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read this :)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The first thing to do is to turn OFF auto restart so you can see what the blue screen is telling you.

If you haven't changed any of the system failure settings, you should be able to see the error by looking in the Event Log. But a better long-term solution is to turn off the automatic reboot so you can actually see the error when it happens—chances are it will tell you enough about itself to let you troubleshoot further. To change the recovery settings to disable automatic rebooting:

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Advanced tab.

3. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

4. Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

5. Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

Now when you go to shut down and a fatal error occurs, you'll at least see it and it won't cause an automatic reboot. You still have to sort out what's causing the problem, but that gets us to the next section quite nicely.

SRX660

MaseratiGT-RS

MaseratiGT-RS

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
is your computer being updated? windows usually gets blue screens form missing some crucial updates

kera

kera

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
for some reason i couldnt get it to not restart on its own when it crashes to the blue screen but it was delayed last time when it crashed and i managed to get the technical error code which i believe was 0x0000008e i think, i couldn't tell if it was an 8 or B but i'm 99% sure it was 8, how do i get rid of that?

kera

kera

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
and yes it was just recently updated

MaseratiGT-RS

MaseratiGT-RS

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
well, i you can try to burn all you programs or files on to a cd if you have a burner or dvd rw burner and re install your windows version

Reactor

Reactor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
A format C would be lovely. Make sure you save all the valuable data to DVDs or another "storage" hard disk.

It's extremely wise to have a smaller capacity hard drive in your machine, where you may create copies of your essential files. In this case, after formatting, you can restore everything.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

If you are using a Nvidia based video card i would suggest updating the driver to a newer version to see if that is the problem.

http://downloads.gur...nload-1977.html

The only other thing you can do is try downloading some codec's that could help. You will need to read up on the codecs to see if any can apply to your computer.

http://www.free-codecs.com/

SRX660