Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

the router - problem with filesharing -1pc, 1laptop

• Please log in to reply

jaman7777

jaman7777

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello;

i don't know, if this topic should be posted here, but anyway:

My problem:
I have 2 comps: 1. laptop(vista) and 1 pc.(wins xp)

i would like to see files on one comp. from another and vs. ( if i want to see a movie, that i have on the pc; but i want to watch it on my laptop...)
I am connected to internet through a router; both comps have access to internet, so that is working already...but i seams i can't share files, folders...

Could there be a problem with vista(laptop)-xp(pc)? ithink not, right?

Any clues? Thanks

Advertisements

steveie85ca

steveie85ca

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
In order to see the other computer, the Vista computer needs to be wired to the router as the #1 computer. It will not work with wireless. It needs to be hard wired.

Decepticon

Decepticon

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

In order to see the other computer, the Vista computer needs to be wired to the router as the #1 computer. It will not work with wireless. It needs to be hard wired.

I don't think that's true. I got this to work with a wireless connection on both machines.

I had this same issue when I had Vista sharing to an XP machine. There is a policy in secpol.msc that I had to change about blank passwords. Now this was around when Vista first came out, so things may have changed. Also, you may want to look into the guest account settings as well in secpol.msc. Once I changed these settings, I was able to see all shared folders on the Vista machine. Google your issue and I am sure you will find info on it. I will dig deeper into this a little later when I have time as I am at work right now.

Edited by Decepticon, 27 June 2008 - 09:31 AM.

steveie85ca

steveie85ca

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
If any machine is wired to the router the Vista machine HAS to be the first computer. This is because Vista has a dominince issue, it has to be #1. The wireless I doubt will work. I have 2 seperate networks at my shop, all my Vista machines are in the front and offices. All my XP's are in the back. I keep them seperated so that incase the bench machines are infected my main machines with all my business stuff don't get hit too. You can try editing the policy, but it can be very tideous and time consuming if you are unfimiliar with that.

jaman7777

jaman7777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Well, i'm not connected via wireless, i have cable modem connection, with a router that has 8 ports. I managed to share folders, but then i don't have inetrent conection on my other comp; so i'm back at the beginning.

I have also googled the problem, but it didn't work.

any suggestions?

steveie85ca

steveie85ca

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Ok, your modem conects to your router via the wan port then computer number one is the vista computer and computer 2 is the XP machine. This will give you your internet and allow you to share files.

jaman7777

jaman7777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
- any guide(tutorial) how to do that? (i am now connected to net on both comps; but no sharing still)

QUOTE (steveie85ca @ Jun 27 2008, 09:22 AM)

- it is not wireless!
- as i get it, i can't share files from my pc(xp) to my laptop(vista) then? - as i have the majority of files on the pc(xp)?

thanks

Edited by jaman7777, 27 June 2008 - 11:30 AM.

Decepticon

Decepticon

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Here ya go, I believe this is the guide I used to get it all working.

http://forums.micros...o...5&SiteID=17

And, I really don't think Vista has 'Dominance' issues. And according to your explanation (to stevie85ca), how does one make the Vista machine '#1'? There is no 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc etc computer. Either the IP is assigned via DHCP or you assign it manually. There is no 'pecking order' when it comes to IP addressing.

Also try this:

http://techrepublic....ssageID=2393707

Edited by Decepticon, 27 June 2008 - 11:32 AM.

steveie85ca

steveie85ca

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
If you look at your router from the back. You see the ports lableds Lan 1-4 or 1-8 or however many ports. The computer running Vista has to be in port 1. Then you can see the files that are shared on the XP machine and the machine with XP can see the shared files on Vista.

Decepticon

Decepticon

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

If you look at your router from the back. You see the ports lableds Lan 1-4 or 1-8 or however many ports. The computer running Vista has to be in port 1. Then you can see the files that are shared on the XP machine and the machine with XP can see the shared files on Vista.

I'm sorry and I don't mean to sound rude, but you are 100% incorrect. The numbered ports on a router are for organizaional or reference purposes only. If you connect a device to port one, it does not have 'dominance' or preferential treatment over the other ports. The only way this is possibl is if you set the QoS (if the router supports this feature) to that port. But if that were the case, you could set it for any port. And that service is usually used for streaming media such as a media player or VoiP traffic - but it is not limited to these services.

Again, IP addressing does not have a pecking order. IP addressing is assigned via DHCP or is manually assigned by the user/administrator. Vista does not have dominance 'issues'. I think you may need to do some research on this subject in order to clear up your innacuracies.

steveie85ca

steveie85ca

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Well sorry for haveing first hand experince in setting it up that way. I have done 100's of installs and it works great that way. Sorry you can't try it and see that I am not 100% incorrect.

Decepticon

Decepticon

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have tried it 100's of times as well and got Windows Vista to properly share files the same way Windows XP did by following the guides that I posted. I don't know what kind of setup you have 'tested' your theory on, but its not supposed to work up like that. Let's agree to disagree and I'll keep setting up my networks correctly.

Edited by Decepticon, 29 June 2008 - 03:50 PM.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
It does not matter which computer is connected to port 1
What you need to look at
  • Is netword descovery turned on in the Vista machine?
  • Is file sharing turned on in the Vista machine?
  • Is the fire wall blocking the file sharing (on each machine)?
  • Are the files shared?
  • Do you have permissions set?

steveie85ca,
I have set up home networks with Vista and XP machines.
Vista does have some file sharing issues (and printer sharing) with XP machines. (search this forum and you will find several).
However, it does not matter which machine is pluged in to which port on the router, the router does not know what operating system is in use.
(I am COMPTia A+ certified, MCDST as well)

Decepticon

Decepticon

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thank you. Finally, someone who knows what they are talking about.

jaman7777

jaman7777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
hello,

well, i have tried the steps listed above, bit it didn't work;
so i dwnl the program called TeamViewer;

and that's that; it works;

thanks for the help anyway;

j