Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Using Disk Defragmenter on an XP pc

• Please log in to reply

wdc202

wdc202

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Can someone please tell me (or point me to a place that explains) how to interpret those colorful bar charts (before and after ?) that are shown? Thanks.

Advertisements

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Hello,

Post up a screen shot and i will do my best to explain to you in full detail.

Cheers,
Mak

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
At the bottom of the defragmenter window there are colored boxes that explain what each color stands for. On the whole, the defragmenter charts are a qualitative indicator for the level of disk fragmantation. More bars mean more fragmantation. The bottom chart gives a general idea of how the the disk looks after the process.

Please note that there are files that cannot be defragmented or moved. Among them are system files (green colored), video and restore files (red colored, meaning that they are still fragmented after the process). Sometimes you need to run the defragmenter more then once to achieve better results.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Or in a nutshell:

Blue is good, red is bad. Red is very bad when it appears in big chunks across the top window. No white space in the top window also isn't very good as it means you're out of space on the drive.