Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

quintessenceanx

quintessenceanx

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I'm upgrading my friend's RAM for her laptop (preferably before she leaves for summer classes out of state, but either or I suppose). I originally obtained RAM from a coworker at my most recent job, however I'm not sure it has the correct number of pins. After searching about Gateway laptops I found that there are statements that Gateway recommends 200-pin memory, but some users stated this was not the correct size. After investigating the Device Manager in Vista (the OS on her laptop), I found that (like XP) it didn't tell me what I needed to know about the memory. Is there any way to look into the manufacturer or product ID for the RAM currently in her computer so that I can tell what came with? Or should I just crack it open and search the info on the individual DIMMs?

Thanks!

Advertisements

steveie85ca

steveie85ca

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
If you go to the Crossair Memory Configurator, it will allow you to input the maker of the laptop and the model and tell you what you need. This should help you determin if you have the right stuff.

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Hello,

Another site to check out is Crucial.

http://www.crucial.com/

They can scan you system and tell you what RAM you need.

Cheers,
Mak