Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SCSI boot device and BIOS not installed errors

• Please log in to reply

brinas30

brinas30

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Tower with American Megatrends AMI AHA-2940 ULTRA/ULTRA W/BIOS 2000 ver 1.23
AMD Turon CPU 1300 MHz

Attempting to load new Windows XP OS CD onIDE HDD’s, both master or slave.

Receiving multiple errors including a BSOD that can be seen for a millisecond flash during OS boot (one HDD has an existing XP OS and the other Win ME OS).

1st error happens just after the POST, before the boot sequence:
“No SCSI boot device found! BIOS not installed!”

2nd error is after boot sequence:
“A: Drive error
Press F1 to resume

I do not have a floppy drive attached.

3rd error is after booting from my new WIN XP CDROM after the software is loading drivers:
“File /i386/ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. Error code 7”

I also received this once:
“Can’t load file KRNL386.EXE path not found. System halted.”

If I attempt to load windows, I receive that quick BSOD and it reboots.

Below are some configurations in SCSI Utility:
Configure/View Host Adapter Settings – the Host Adapter SCSI Term = Auto
All SCSI ID’s are on “YES”
SCSI Host adapter = #7

Boot sequence is CDROM, IDE=0, SCSI

Please let me know if you require addt'l info.
Thanks!
Sabrina :)

Advertisements

brinas30

brinas30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Also, I have completely disconnected both HDD's and left only the DVDROM and CDROM drives attached, then updated the boot sequences. I received same error for SCSI and BIOS, as well as the OS install screen.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
This is a complicated situation and you're leaving a lot of information out. Do you actually have an SCSI drive in the system, if not you can remove the SCSI card? Actually your first "error" isn't an error at all, it's just a report that the Adaptec card makes if there is not an SCSI device in the system. And if you do have an SCSI drive in the system you should really assign it a # and configure the adapter for it, it will work better and shorten the boot time.

I would scour through all the BIOS settings and make sure that everything is correct. You can disable the floppy in BIOS and remove that error. Also make sure that the type of IDE cable matches the jumper settings on the IDE devices, for the 40 wire cable use master and slave, the 80 wire use cable select.

brinas30

brinas30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Duh! :) I disconnected the SCSI card for my SATA drive (which I wasn't using...don't laugh at me too hard ok? lol)

Now for my other issues:

Before the OS load, it states searching for CDROM device...OK, searching for IDE device...OK

then it stops and you are unable to do anything further.

When I load the new XP cd the setup window shows the same error:
“File /i386/ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. Error code 7” Is the HDD bad? It passes PC Check and a Drive Fitness Test.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
OK, we can see that the loader cannot find the kernel, it's not finding the CDROM for some reason. You might check the jumper settings and put it on the same bus with the hard drive that you want to use as the boot device. Just switching stuff around a bit you might get lucky.

brinas30

brinas30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Can you give me a tutorial on that please? Are you speaking of the jumper on the HDD? For Master it states "none" or are you speaking of the CDROM? I've never put jumpers on one of those. I've had my coffee now, so I should be good this time :)

Thanks

brinas30

brinas30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I ensured all boot sequences, cables and jumpers were correct on 3 separate HDD's as tests: all with the same result. I receive a quick flash of a BSOD then it reboots.