Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Security settings proble between router and PC

• Please log in to reply

dan7brit

dan7brit

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hi, I am using a Vista Preminum O/s through a cable connection (Virgin) and employing a wireless network with a ZyXEL nbg334w/G2020 router.

The problem I have is that the router's security settings (using auto WPA_PSK with self-generating key and later when I attempted to use WEP-basic) refuse to 'play ball' with my PC's security settings ( I have tried the lot to fix this problem WEP-personal, WEP"-personal, WEP with encryption types TKIP, AES and WEP).

None of the encrption key types I have been provided by the router (due to numerous attempts) are recognised by my PC! I have even made sure I have not put a 0 in place instead of a O, ect.

The only time my router and PC are nice to each other is when I have no authenticity (security) / open access and no encryption key! THis means that my network is open to all and sundry making me open to attack.

Any ideas people how to fix this problem???

Thanks

Advertisements

Mobious

Mobious

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Have you tried specifying the encryption key yourself?

If not, try using WEP with a simple key like "accessingwifi" without the quotes. Then when trying to connect your PCs make sure that you remove any existing wireless connection profiles.