Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Home Major problems

• Please log in to reply

deeman

deeman

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

Can anybody help me with a strange problem with XP Home edition SP2?

Went to help a friend out that could not install AV or a Firewall programs. He also said that his PC was very, very slow.

I checked his profile and he has Administrator priv's.

First thing i did was to run spyware programs to speed the PC up, I found 100's!
His system had never been protected and no scans had been previously run.

After clearing the machine of worms and trojans i tried to install AV. After double clicking the install file nothing happens. No erros are reported and nothing in the event logs.

I restarted the PC in safe mode and logged in as the Administrator and was able to install the AV ok. After restarting back into his profile in normal mode i could see the program files and icons installed by AV. When i try to open the control center of AVG it does not open. I open the task manager and then again try and open the AVG control center while watching task manager... Nothing appears. Not even an hour glass spinning.
I have the same problem trying to install the firewall..
I have also logged in as another user with Admin rights and still have the same problem.

So... Do you think it could be;
A virus that has removed his admin rights?
A virus that is blocking the install process and application from running?
Could it be his profile is damaged?? (Not sure as logged in as a different user and had same problem)
Maybe its not a virus and due to the amount he previosuly had on there it has corrupted the OS? (Although OS runs fine)

Sorry this message is long but really cant think of what to do now and would appreciate any help offered :tazz: ;) ;)

Many thanks on advance for any help!!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Download and install tweakui powertoy, add administrator account to the start screen.

Start in normal mode with Admin account. Does avg run there?

Also, under services, are the avg services running? What are the startup types

start > run
services.msc
enter

deeman

deeman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
Many thanks for the quick reply!! ;)

I will go back and have a try with the power toy and see what happens...

Originally there were no AVG services running. Just the program folders and startmenu icons installed.

Any idea why the admin rights may have gone?

Again... Many thanks!! :tazz: ;)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
are we certain that the admin rights are gone? I didn't see that in your post....but I may be reading too quickly....

deeman

deeman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry, I meant it's as though the Admin right's have gone because of not being able to install any programs. Was only able to install programs when logged in as Administrator in safe mode. I thought that was the behavior of a profile with limited rights..

Sorry for not being clear..... :tazz: ;)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
But it was more, wasn't it...not only cannot install, but cannot run (for your friend's account).

First inclination is a trojan has disabled it, but haven't run into a trojan that hits AVG (norton, yes)

Want to see if the services are starting up at startup
-- btw--don't want to see if they are running, want to see the start up TYPE or MODE

deeman

deeman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, indeed not able to run.

It is my thinking too that a trojan is to blame for this but also not seen one do this before.

I will visit mt friend again and do some more work and let you know the result of the startup type and mode.

Thanks again, cant believe how quick the reply came...! :tazz: ;) ;)

d4tkil4b

d4tkil4b

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i also have the same problem. i am logged in as the administrator, but the exe file for AVG would open for a second only, then will disappear. i couldn't find what trojan is causing this. please help.