Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help deleting a dll file

• Please log in to reply

pyseas

pyseas

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I removed a program, Arc Soft Photo Impression but it left behind a file, PIHook.dll. When I tried to go and delete from C:\Program Files\ArcSoft\Software Suite\PhotoImpression 5\Share it gives me the message that access is denied, make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use.

I googled the file name, and find only one site with a suggestion on how to delete it, which involved editing the Registry. It didn't work. I also went to the Arc Soft website and got nowhere.

Can anyone help me delete this file so I can clear it off my computer?

Advertisements

ipods619

ipods619

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hey Pyseas!

Welcome to the Geeks to Go Forum Boards!

Judging from your profile, it seems that you are currently running XP. What I suggest you do is the following:
1) Click Start and then click Log Off
2) After you have successfully logged out, press CTRL+ALT+DEL and enter in Administrator as the username and a blank password (assuming the password is cleared). This should allow you to gain direct access to the Administrator account, if you aren't one already.
3) Access the file from My Computer and attempt to delete it now...

If it still doesn't work, it may still be a currently running process. From here, I'd suggest you go into Safe Mode and attempt to delete it from there.

**Just out of curiousity: What's wrong with leaving the file there? It's normally not recommended that you manually delete DLL files.**

Edited by ipods619, 27 June 2008 - 10:55 PM.

pyseas

pyseas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the info. I will give that a try.

I guess the June Cleaver in me wants my computer cleaned up nice and tidy. :) Because the file wasn't removed during the uninstall, it left behind the file folders.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
http://www.scanwith....ad/Unlocker.htm

download unlocker and right click on .dll and choose the wand to delete file/.dll
you could select delete/remove on reboot......restart your computer