Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

100$ on Upgrade. RAM & VGA

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Well I just completed my GCSE O/Ls and my mom has granted me a $100 (Rs. 10000) budget to upgrade my computer.

Current Specs are
2.40 GHz P4 Processor
512 MB RAM (2X 256 Mb)
128 Mb VGA (Radeon 9700 Series)

Well I've started gaming a lot and I should say I'm currently outdated on all sides of my system.

But I have a problem since I live in Sri Lanka and all the time you list newegg products which I can't buy :)

So I have found some items here and just want to ask whether they are good for the price or what kind do you reccomend and I'll try seeing if they have it here.

Kingston Value RAM 2GB DDR2 SDRAM Memory Module - 2GB - 667MHz DDR2-667/PC2-5300 - Non-ECC - DDR2 SDRAM - 240-pin DIMM

That is costing me $55 or Rs. 5700

OR should I go for

Kingston 240-pin DIMM features 1 gigabyte DDR2 memory and operates at 667 MHz bus speeds!
That costs Rs. 2750

and get a
Powered by GeForce 8400 GS GPU
Supports PCI Express
Microsoft DirectX 10 and OpenGL 2.0 support
Integrated 256MB GDDR2 64-bit memory interface and support NVIDIA TurboCache Technology
Supports PureVideo technology
Features both DVI-I / D-sub

That costs Rs. 7250
Giving an exact total of Rs. 10000

Go for this
Gigabyte GF 8500GT PCI-E x16 512MB 128-bit GDDR2, Dual Link DVI, VGA, TV Out, HDCP, Heatsink, Supports resolutions up to 2560 x 1600, NVIDIA SLI Ready, NVIDIA PureVideo, DirectX 10 and OpenGL 2.0 compliant
Costing Rs. 12950

Intel Pentium E2200 Allendale 2.2GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
Rs. 11650

Any thing you need just request and I'll give it to you guys.

Thanks for any help.

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The one thing you have not said is your system spec's. If this is a older P4 system you are probably limited to using DDR memory which limits you to DDR-400 memory. Also do you even have a PCI-E video card slot on the motherboard, or is it a AGP slot? The motherboard model would be nice to check with. If all you have is a AGP video card slot you are limited to a Geforce 7600GS card. Also a older MB will not support the newer Intel 65 nm processors. By the time you upgrade this computer you will have the same money as a new computer, if you need to buy the MB, CPU, memory and graphics card.

So, the best bang for your buck right now is MORE memory in the right configuration for the computer. Older P4 comps can really only use 1 gig of memory. 2 gigs will not speed things up except in gaming and you must check that the MB will support 2 gigs of memory.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I agree with your post. I think going ahead with 1GB RAM is sufficient. I'll save up more money and then buy a better one later.

If you need this info here it is just to give you a better idea.

Oh and no PCI E only AGP and normal PCI

Processor Main Circuit Board b
2.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Main Circuit Board b
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 10/26/2004

Memory Modules c,d
512 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 256 MB
Slot 'A1' has 256 MB