Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Protect my files, folders, and emails on my Terminal from other Employ

• Please log in to reply

annlw

annlw

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:) Please Help! I am a new employee working with the newly appointed president. Appears that the president was hired to "clean house" because there is a lot of "curruption" going on between key employees. My job is to work side by side with the president, and recently I feel a key figure in the programming department is involved in the cover-up.

I work on a shared terminal which contains my new files, folders, and emails which contain highly confidential information only to be shared between myself and the new president. The new president was hired to "clean house" of bad employees. The other employee before me, was relieved of this position, but not fired. He is now in another department, but is involved in the cover-up. He had 2 programmers come up the first week, to make a copy of all files etc, off of my terminal, so they could be transferred to his terminal in the new department. Another programmer came up last week, and asked to sit down at my terminal. She quickly moved through screens, and unclicked a box that had the words "security and "files" in the sentence. I am afraid that this person is also involved in the cover-up, and they want access to my recent confidential information, so they can get me removed from this position, and get the other person back in. When the president came back in the office, she quickly closed out all the screens and said, I'm finished. She had a folder with her with information on how to copy and back up files and folders. The new president came back into the office, and she quickly gave this folder to another employee who is currently under investigation. She quickly walked over, and told the new president, how happy she was that he was there. I can't convince the president that this long time employee might be one of the people involved in the curruption.

I am not authorized to download any programs to my terminal, per company policy. My terminal is one of many, that are connected to a main terminal. How can I secure my confidential files, folders, and emails from this programmer, and also protect my new confidential files, folders, and emails, incase this programmer comes back in with a disk, to transfer files back to this bad employee? I don't know what kind of operating system I have, and I am an admin employee only, who works side by side with the new president. My job is strictly confidential, and my confidential files, folders, and emails are on this terminal. Can this programmer also link to my computer and view confidential emails, files, and folders? How do I know if my confidential info is being viewed, without downloading a program?

I need help to protect my confidential information, which will protect my position with this company.

Edited by annlw, 28 June 2008 - 10:24 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This would appear to be an internal company issue.
Unfortunately when you work with a company that uses IT, they generally have the right to govern what you can and can't use the IT for. This is typically part of the work contract so if you don't like the way they do things and you have no authority in the matter, then there's not really a lot you can do about it. If the systems are set up for access to anybody and everybody, that's an issue to bring to the attention of the IT department.

Having said that, accusing other employees of being corrupt without solid proof is really asking for trouble. While your concerns may be genuine and valid, a public internet forum isn't really the right place to bring them up. You'll get no help here circumventing company policy I'm afraid.