Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer turns on, black screen

• Please log in to reply

Zylocks

Zylocks

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
hey guys, i haven't posted in a while, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

i guess i'll dive right into it. i went away for about a month, my computer worked fine, and when i came back my brother had took it apart and put it in a corner (the cables and monitor and what not, not the actual computer). when i put it back together, the computer will turn on, but nothing will show on the screen. just a black screen of death.

any suggestions :S?

*edit* ok, so i subbed out the power supply and that seemed to be the problem. this happened to me last year, and so the power supply was my newest part. would anyone know a reason why this keeps happening..? the poewr supplies fan was still running, and the lights were on and everything. Could it be just some of the plugs that arne't working? I was going to try to switch around all the plugs and hope that it will work. I dont really know much about power supplies.. so could it be the case thats its just garbage, and that i shouldn't bother trying to sub around the plugs? it kinda sounds like im going around in circles here but i hope you guys understand what im trying to say.

Edited by Zylocks, 28 June 2008 - 12:40 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the short answer is do not buy cheap PSU's...
good reading here...and here...

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
arg... the problem is back... my brother went up north for a bit so i stole his power supply in the meantime. it fixed everything, but now its dead again. I took my computer over to my buddy's house last night, and it was working. I take it apart, bring it home, set it up and it's back to how it was before. In fact, the first time that it did this was fairly similar to this time. My brother took my computer apart and moved it while i was away for a month. It worked before I left. After putting it together same problem.

I know its the power supply thats the problem, but can anyone think of a reason why it's dying in these circumstances...? on another note, can power supplies die if theres some kind of overhaeting or something?

thanks again..