Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD± Writer/CD-Writer opens and closes

• Please log in to reply

Ivanpm

Ivanpm

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well, I have a problem about my cd-writer. When i try to open it to insert a cd or dvd it wants to close automatically so i have to hold it and insert it, and then it closes alone. But when it closes it won't read the cd or dvd and some time after (like 5 seconds) it opens again and closes and it's a mess. is this a hardware error, because when we bought the computer it did that already and we went to the manufacturer and they gave us a new one and it was the same.(this is the new one)So i was wondering if this reader/writer doesn't work and i have to replace it by a new one. And yes after a lot of times the reader finally stays in and reads the cd. But it's really a pain to make it stay inside.

Edited by Ivanpm, 28 June 2008 - 06:12 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Years ago there used to be a virus that spontaneously opened and closed the CD unit, however it was during the time when people ran programs off of strange devices called floppy disks (whatever they are :)) and before the time when Windows really took off mainstream. Nobody uses floppy disks these days so a lot of the really old boot sector viruses and those that didn't time out on their own ended up dying naturally.

Your problem however is more likely caused by a stuck button or, if you have a case where the door folds down when the tray is open, the drive isn't mounted correctly so it keeps triggering the button through vibrations. This is more particularly the case if you've already had the unit replaced once as its unlikely that two of them have the same problem.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Some H-P, Compaq, and E-machines have this problem quite often because they used the Elcheapo H-L DVD-RW writer. Every time i see one of those i toss them out and replace them with a real DVD-RW like a phillips, or Pioneer. The H-L is the only DVD writer that can take over a hour to write 4.3 gigs of data to a disk( Tadiyo Yuden). It happened to me.

SRX660

Ivanpm

Ivanpm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yeah maybe thats my problem.

But which drive do you recommend?

Edited by Ivanpm, 30 June 2008 - 09:00 PM.