Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Alert Notification if Active Directory fail

• Please log in to reply

konoha95

konoha95

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Anyone,

Scenario: Have windows 2003 server configure as domain controller with Active Directory. It has all users account and scripts running to map users to network (resources) drives when they logon to the domain.

Question: I want to know whether there is any way to create a alert that will inform me via email and pager to let me know if users are not being able to authenticate to the domain and if it is stalled for failed. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK, now, working this thing through.....

Since the server is sending you the alert, if a user cannot authenticate to the domain, the server does not know, since the authentication is is the trigger,,,,I think...

I am not the greatest script guy in the world, always looking to learn more on the topic, but from a logical point of view maybe you could write a script that would dump a log file every hour or so of who has authenticated...then maybe compare that to total users....I really don't know....sounds tricky.

Sorry I'm not much help.

The other part, an alert if the server has stalled or failed? or what? That shouldn't be that hard...

konoha95

konoha95

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks gerryf. I don't know where to begin to create an alert to tell me when the server has stalled. I was looking through the services and I thought if I can create an alert to prompt me if the Netlogon service is started for disabled...it would give me a good indication. However, when I try to create an alert in performance monitor, I do not see the option to trigger a service alert.